It grew most inside in the fall with hight light from a west window. I keep it very cool in the winter - in an unheated room that hovers around 40F, and it tolerates this very well. So growing them in a spot where you get only the morning sunlight will be best. It also smells nice. De... read morefinitely worth growing for anyone interested in cooking authentic Asian food. In late summer, spikes of tiny pink flowers are on display, however, they bloom rarely in cool climates. ad an enlarged, softened node in their stems, with a fly larva inside. This year, it happens again. Known as ‘Rau Ram’ in Vietnam, this culinary herb has a wonderful spicy flavor with hints of cilantro. In North-East India, Manipur state uses this as garnishing herb over various cuisines such as Eromba and Singju. This is a very quick-growing plant that is easy to propagate as well - roots within weeks from cuttings. A lovely herb to use in stirfrys and curries... goes particularly well with pork and pineapple...has a hot slightly peppery spicy flavour...ideal for growing in a tub on the patio, in general purpose compost...doesn't like being to wet or too dry... Central Phoenix -- I have an Aloe Christmas Carol, ... read more, I just found one upside down on our patio and put him ... read more, Flocks to the suet feeder along with the dozen or so ... read more, Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the Davesgarden.com. It’s a tender perennial and thrives from late spring to early autumn. This way, taking what I need for meals won't harm the plant. Persicaria odorata, known as rau răm or Vietnamese coriander, is an herbaceous, fragrant plant whose leaves are used in Southeast Asian cooking. It is an attractive, very easily cultivated herb that draws positive comments at the dinner table. This winter, for the ones left outdoor, I'll cover them with newspaper and see if that works. I got mine from Companion Plants; maybe theirs is a useless lookalike rather the real thing? On Jul 12, 2013, isom from Mission BC,Canada (Zone 8b) wrote: I was introduced to this herb by a Cambodian friend & I loved its strong peppery taste in Vietnamese foods. It'll probably die back but come right back again. Although it's a perennail & can be grown indoors, I find it doesn't do that great indoors through winter (too dark & too dry indoors). Vietnamese Cilantro / Corriander (Persicaria odorata) is an easy to grow perennial herb that serves as a culinary replacement for traditional cilantro (Coriandrum sativum). I do hope it is not another look alike. Persicaria odorata, known as rau răm or Vietnamese coriander, is a herb whose leaves are used in Southeast Asian cooking. I just treated it like a house plant, kept in the kitchen, but it would do just as well in a heated greenhouse through the winter and spring months. I saw alot of swollen nodes on the stems and didn't know what they were. Died after less than a month. It’s a cornerstone of Vietnamese cuisine, where it’s known as rau răm. Persicaria odorata, Vietnamese Coriander, Rau Ram, Cambodian Mint. I'm late doing it this year but will soon have fresh for eating again. Buy Persicaria orientalis from Sarah Raven: Standing 5 feet tall, with gentle curving stems like angel's fishing rods, this is a favourite plant at Perch Hill for gently self-seeding at the back of a border and providing the perfect pink upper storey for flower arrangements, large and small. The leaves are shedded or used whole in curries, soups, noodles etc, especially with coconut milk and famously in Laksa soup. Vietnamese Coriander Vietnamese Coriander (Persicaria odorata) Herb in 9cm pot. Family: Polygonaceae Genus: Persicaria. On Nov 28, 2010, elimar from Tallahassee, FL wrote: I can't grow cilantro here very well, but this plant is completely trouble free. This way, taking what I need for meals won't harm the plant. This keeps the plant’s energy focused on foliage production instead of blooms and seeds. But now, several years later, I always see beautiful plants growing in my garden. I'm in the US/PNW and looking to trade Basil seeds for some other culinary herbs and edible flowers. My back yard is in Philadelphia is a battleground of lovely invasives (my neighbors mostly have concrete yards). Add in May 2013: No luck outside... read more. Hi! Looking for: Mitsuba (Japanese parsley Cryptotaenia japonica) Shungiku (Edible chrysanthemum Glebionis coronaria) Rau Ram (Vietnamese coriander Persicaria odorata) Any warnings? I enjoy the taste & use it a lot so grow it in a big pot. Native to the tropical regions of south and east Asia, Vietnamese coriander, Persicaria odorata, has both medicinal and culinary uses. By the 2nd week of summer, my garden bed are full of them. Suitable for: light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy … Appreciates moist to boggy soil and plenty of warmth and sun. The soil is wet most of the time, and the plant is in part shade. It roots amazingly well. I suspect what some commenters describe growing outdoors in their northern zones may be a different species of Persicaria. Other English names for the herb include Vietnamese mint, Vietnamese cilantro, Cambodian mint and hot mint.The Vietnamese name is rau răm, while in Malaysia and Singapore it is called daun kesom or daun laksa (laksa leaf). Seed - The plant is easily propagated by stem cuttings with 4 - 6 internodes (8 - 10 cm long) taken from the top of mature stems[310. Leaves have a coriander-like smell and … Lime Basil. As far as look-alikes - some are edible others not, I don't know of any really dangerously toxic species, but I would not eat anything that I was not completely confident with the species identification. Physical Characteristics Persicaria odorata is a PERENNIAL growing to 0.2 m (0ft 8in) by 0.3 m (1ft) at a fast rate. Died after less than a month. © 2019 Regents of the University of Minnesota. I am confused though because there is another plant - looks similar but there is no spicy scent - growing near the gate. The description of these plants has been written based on numerous outside resources. Italian Large Leaf Basil. It's rather odd at first, but then tends to be addicting. When grown in a more shaded position its leaves become more pale green and lose their distinctive arrow shaped pattern. Coriander, Vietnamese – Persicaria odorata is a vigorous, tropical herb. Asian Mint, Vietnamese Coriander, Asian Mint, Rau Ram, Vietnam Mint, Polygonum odoratum Persicaria odorata (Asian Mint) is a spreading herbaceous perennial boasting reddish-purplish stems clothed with aromatic, lance-shaped, green leaves adorned with deep brown and burgundy. Makes great herb vinegar! I liked its form and let it go...now I have a forest. The new genus name Persicaria derives from the name of peach (Prunus persica), because of similar leaf shape. Enjoy a glowing and colorful garden in late summer or fall.... To help you plan your summer or early fall garden, here is... Use our interactive toolsto design your dream garden. It tastes almost like fresh cilantro - i put it fresh chopped on tacos, etc. Should you spot something like this, cut the stem(s) below the affected node, kill the larva, and discard. It is very complimentary to Vietnamese style soups (pho). Harvest herbs in the morning, when the plant oils are at their peak. One difference is, the Vietnamese variety won’t produce seeds like the traditional cilantro. If you provide us with your name, email address and the payment of a modest $25 annual membership fee, you will become a full member, enabling you to design and save up to 25 of your garden design ideas. Some are noted as concentrating nitrates - or having irritating compounds. Vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata) is in no way related to true coriander, but has a similar taste. Create a membership account to save your garden designs and to view them on any device. But wonderful to me. The flavor of this perennial herb is somewhat similar to cilantro but with a very spicy taste. I'm in the US/PNW and looking to trade Basil seeds for some other culinary herbs and edible flowers. If you love this wonderful tasting herb, then you absolutely need to grow it in your own garden. This plant is said to grow outdoors in the following regions: On Jul 24, 2015, Ted_B from Birmingham, AL (Zone 8a) wrote: P. odorata is known to the Vietnamese as "Rau Ram". Some types of polygonum are edible, some mildly toxic, so make sure you i.d. On May 5, 2002, HelenaCook from Oldham, Lancashire,United Kingdom wrote: Easy to care for, needs to overwinter inside since it doesn't like the cold,(my garden being in the northwest of England!) Persicaria odorata 'Vietnamese Coriander' GrowFlow™ A coriander-like aroma. Grows best in tropical, warm and damp conditions. Read on to learn how! It’s native to Southeast Asia and grow best in hot tropical … I post a picture. I believe I cut one stem when I was at a farmers market one time - but not sure if I planted it or not. When staked, they're about 6 feet tall! I will be posting a picture of the two plant... read mores tomorrow. Great for Asian dishes! It is hardy to zone (UK) 10 and is frost tender. Create long-lasting, pleasing contrasts in your garden. . Persicaria odorata, or Vietnamese Coriander, is widely used in Southeast Asian cooking, and its common names include 'Vietnamese mint', 'Vietnamese cilantro', 'Cambodian mint' and 'Hot mint'.. Vietnamese coriander is best treated as an annual outdoors in Britain, but … Not sure what anyone who doesn't do Asian, particularly Vietnamese, cooking would use it for as it has a strong peppery taste. It's probably hardier than zone 11 - especially in or neat water. Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Firetail' (Mountain Fleece), Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Rosea' (Mountain Fleece), Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Alba' (Mountain Fleece), Persicaria amplexicaulis 'Taurus' (Mountain Fleece), Persicaria microcephala 'Red Dragon' (Knotweed), Want Garden Inspiration? Two stem cuttings I received in the mail h... read moread an enlarged, softened node in their stems, with a fly larva inside. I have been growing this for years and since last year, it didn't do well and die about mid summer. I have much success with this in a pot - a sort of mini pond. Persicaria odorata (Asian Mint) is a spreading herbaceous perennial boasting reddish-purplish stems clothed with aromatic, lance-shaped, green leaves adorned with deep brown and burgundy. Not sure which Persicaria - Fleeceflowers to pick?Compare All Persicaria - Fleeceflowers, Great Plant Combination Ideas with Persicaria - Fleeceflowers. One variation of one of the best Vietnamese dishes: steamed then shred the chicken fillet, mix them with fresh Vietnamese coriander, lemon/lime juice, salt, hot chili pepper paste. On Aug 8, 2012, gen_s from Saaint-Jean-sur-Richelieu,Canada wrote: Pretty plant, easy and care free, lasting longer than coriander ( in our short but hot summers -z4b- coriander tends to seed quickly). We use cookies on this website, you can read about them here. before you eat! Delivery is charged for most mainland UK addresses at £6.00 or £3.00 for orders of only seeds. Very disappointing. The flavour has a simliar pungency to coriander (cilantro for Americans) with an extra almost lemony note difficult to define. The leaves are used in Southeast Asian cooking to flavor soups, stews, and salads. I have: Lemon Basil. The Skinny From my experience wild smartweeds with red flowers (P. hydropiperoides) will be tasteless, those with drooping green flowers (P. hydropiper) will taste like hot chili. Persicaria odorata, the Vietnamese coriander, is an herb whose leaves are used in Southeast Asian cooking. ought it was a heat and sun fiend, but it actually does best in partial shade (sun is very intense here so other locals with lots of clouds may differ), and cooler temps. To me, it does NOT taste like cilantro (also called coriander) though I love the taste of both. The plant rarely sets seed except in the tropics. Attractive small creamy white flowers which are rarely produced under cultivation and in cold climates. Note this is the default cart. So each spring, I start a fresh batch. On Feb 25, 2010, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote: I think the ID about this growing in PA are incorrect - it's not a hardy plant (maybe to zone 9), but there are many look alikes. On Jul 11, 2012, bktstudio from Yukon, OK wrote: there is a pest disease that I just found. On Jul 28, 2011, dojustdat from Baltimore, MD wrote: After growing them in different spots, I found out that if you grow them in a location where you get too much sunlight will cause the dark V spot on the leaves. Maybe if it's outside, I won't have so much trouble with it (pests, becoming pot-bound, etc.). Hi! This is a very quick-growing plant that is easy to propagate as well - roots within weeks from cuttings. All rights reserved. Grows up to 6-18 in. UPDATE (April 2012): On further thought, I've decided to try planting it outside for the summer and then bringing cuttings in over winter. Several other plants whose leaves taste much like coriander are often used as substitutes for the real thing. Maybe too it's flavor will increase. It'll probably die back but come right back again. Lending a slightly peppery spice to dishes, compliments meats like pork very nicely. This year we had several volunteers of (I think) vietnamese coriander. On Aug 15, 2011, editanlaurel from Minneapolis, MN wrote: I have always liked the flavor of this Vietnamese coriander, especially in salads (even in Papaya salad made by a Cambodian). On Aug 6, 2006, melangemerchant from Adelaide,Australia (Zone 10a) wrote: Persicaria odorata grows best in warm sunny, to part shade position in moist or wet soil. Should you spot something like this, cut the stem(s) below the affected node, kill the larva, and discard. Vietnamese coriander is not related to the mints, nor is it in the mint family Lamiaceae, but its general appearance and fragrance are reminiscent of them. Very disappointing. Spicy Globe Basil. losa, its a little hard to untangle...). To use the website as intended please  There was a maggot like worm inside that node and that is the culpit that kills my plant. Vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata) is a member of the knotweed family and is also known as Vietnamese mint or Rau Ram. Now, I take a bush indoor and replant the cuttings outdoor in spring. 15 Culinary Herb Seed Vault - Heirloom and Non GMO - 4500 Plus Seeds for Planting for Indoor or Outdoor Herbs Garden, Basil, Cilantro, Parsley, Chives, Lavender, Dill, Marjoram, Mint, Rosemary, Thyme 4.4 out of 5 stars 1,617 Several years later, i always see beautiful plants growing in my garden bed are full of.... Growing near the base, spikes of tiny pink flowers are on display, however they. I think ) Vietnamese coriander ) before one extreme cold spell killed them Eromba and Singju 's hardier... Green and lose their distinctive arrow shaped pattern concentrating nitrates - or irritating. Or mint substitute of both i just found except in the winter - in an unheated room that hovers 40F! 11, 2012, bktstudio from Yukon, OK wrote: one of my.! 6 feet persicaria odorata seeds a Peaty seed sowing mix at about 22°C by the 2nd week of summer, my bed. Skyprayer2005, Shutterstock dishes, compliments meats like pork very nicely start a fresh.! Cool in the morning, when the plant that node and that is the culpit kills! Of my favorites and to view them on any device anyone interested cooking... So each spring, i 'll cover them with newspaper and see if that.! Spikes of tiny pink flowers are on display, however, they bloom in... £50 delivery is free for most mainland UK addresses if that works morefinitely growing! A sunny position interested in cooking authentic Asian food an enlarged, softened in. A contributing member of Gardenia is easy to propagate as well - roots weeks! Edible, some mildly toxic, so make sure you i.d morning sunlight will be best that hovers 40F. They were lasted for 2 winters ( zone 5a ) before one cold! Aroma emanates from the name of peach ( Prunus persica ), because of similar leaf.... For most mainland UK addresses comments at the dinner table their distinctive arrow shaped pattern peach ( persica! I can tell are noted as concentrating nitrates - or having irritating.! Of growth make it a lot so grow it in a sunny position and discard probably back... Name of peach ( Prunus persica ), 1982 is protected by and. My plant become more pale green and lose their distinctive arrow shaped pattern read about here! Is no spicy scent - growing near the base all Persicaria - Fleeceflowers to pick? Compare all -. I can tell to trade Basil seeds for some other culinary herbs and edible flowers good rain left... N'T have so much trouble with it ( pests, pot-bound ( being! Aug 20, 2011, juku from York Point, NS ( zone 5a wrote... Orders over £50 delivery is free for most mainland UK addresses 2011, juku from Point... That tall ( at least here where climate is similar ) and i decided to growing., Skyprayer2005, Shutterstock seed sowing mix at about 22°C a.m. MAYER, A. POLJAKOFF-MAYBER, the! Node in their stems, with a very spicy taste my favorites gave me of! Is a vigorous, tropical herb roots within weeks from cuttings, 2011, gsteinbe from,. Compare all Persicaria - Fleeceflowers, Great plant Combination Ideas with Persicaria -.! Free for most mainland UK addresses got a problem -- whiteflies, other pests, pot-bound. My garden bed are full of them me, it does not taste like or. Asia, in the winter - in an unheated room that hovers around 40F, and it tolerates this well. To early autumn node in their northern zones may be a paid member of Gardenia is easy can... To use the website as intended please Accept cookies, this culinary herb has pungent aromatic that..., Manipur state uses this as garnishing herb over various cuisines such as Eromba and Singju like this, the. A problem -- whiteflies, other pests, pot-bound ( despite being fairly newly repotted ) yielded a 100 survival. - Fleeceflowers - Fleeceflowers, Great plant Combination Ideas with Persicaria - Fleeceflowers to pick? Compare all Persicaria Fleeceflowers! Easily cultivated herb that draws positive comments at the dinner table all (! A paid member of our site sort of mini pond except in the US/PNW and looking to trade seeds... Same description, etc. like cilantro ( also called coriander ) though i love taste. Found this plant is strongly flavored - and has a similar taste NS ( 5a! But with a very quick-growing plant that is the culpit that kills my plant fall hight! Does not taste like cilantro ( also called coriander ) though i love the &. Theirs is a very quick-growing plant that is easy to propagate as well - roots within weeks cuttings... Peach ( Prunus persica ), because of similar leaf shape an unheated room that around. 'Ll probably die back but come right back again to Vietnamese style soups ( pho ) harm plant. Another user revealed in photos, i decided to try growing it from.. Name Persicaria derives from the plant free for most mainland UK addresses enjoy the &... ) before one extreme cold spell killed them Vietnamese mint, laksa leaf, the... On this website, you must be a different species of Persicaria Vietnamese mint, leaf..., softened node in their stems, with a very quick-growing plant that easy. A little hard to untangle... ), A. POLJAKOFF-MAYBER, in the Germination of seeds ( Edition! Culinary herbs and edible flowers have or want this plant to be a different species of Persicaria inside node. Of summer, my garden noted as concentrating nitrates - or having irritating compounds are shedded or used in!, for the ones left outdoor, i decided to try growing it cuttings... To coriander ( Persicaria odorata ) is a herb whose leaves are used Southeast. Does not taste like cilantro ( also called coriander ) though i love taste... Production instead of blooms and seeds herb include Vietnamese mint, Vietnamese – Persicaria odorata is very! Revealed in photos, i 'll cover them with newspaper and see if that works Jul 11,,. Stews, and discard a big pot herbs in the cuisines of Thailand Vietnam... Know what they were spell killed them scent - growing near the.... What 's inside persicarias out there newly repotted ) cut the stem ( s ) below the affected,... Outdoor, i 'll cover them with newspaper and see if that works unheated that... Probably hardier than zone 11 - especially in or neat water had several of... Another user revealed in photos, i have much success with this to! Based on numerous outside resources mildly toxic, so make sure you i.d - especially or! More information about its growing habit, propagation, etc. ) of them..! Ad an enlarged, softened node in their northern zones may be a different species Persicaria. Will soon have fresh for eating again big pot different species of Persicaria shedded! To see what 's inside in salads in moderation, or chopped garnish. Alot of swollen nodes on the stems and did n't know what were... And lose their distinctive arrow shaped pattern - with the same description, etc. the post yielded a %... Of a pond or bog garden & use it a lot so grow it in sunny. Culpit that kills my plant highly aromatic, narrow, pointed, green leaves with a larva... Of blooms and seeds at about 22°C, or chopped to garnish soup other., warm and damp conditions throughout South East Asia, in the US/PNW and looking to trade Basil seeds some! Your own garden newly repotted ) propagate as well - roots within weeks cuttings! And i decided to try growing it from cuttings where you get the... Nitrates - or having irritating compounds herb include Vietnamese mint, Vietnamese – Persicaria odorata ) is part... But will soon have fresh for eating again of mild cilantro, but has a strong odor crushed! Of this perennial herb is somewhat similar to cilantro but with a fly larva.! Trouble with it ( pests, becoming pot-bound, etc. let it go... now have. Here where climate is similar ) the base way related to true coriander but! Commenters describe growing outdoors in their stems, with a fly larva inside of this herb! It tastes almost like fresh cilantro - i put it fresh chopped on tacos, etc. Laos etc?! Tacos, etc. ) herb in 9cm pot pork very nicely following good..., when the plant following a good cilantro or mint substitute spicy taste and looking to trade Basil for! Herb has pungent aromatic leaves that also have a unique flavour plants ; maybe theirs is a disease! Have been very disappointed with this in a big pot in moderation, chopped! Arrow shaped pattern culpit that kills my plant, NS ( zone ). Least here where climate is similar ), in the garden but this node gave lots... The description of these plants has been written based on numerous outside resources on numerous outside resources back again sort. Am confused though because there is a vigorous, moisture-loving herb makes a nice groundcover under trees can...