Please, keep in mind, that we stopped supporting Java version for Workflow Engine in April 2018. The runtime state of an executing process can be made persistent, for example, in a database. About Your go-to Java Toolbox. 3. posted 2 years ago. Fri 4 December 2020 - jBPM 7.47.0 is out, including bug fixes and exciting new features! All rights reserved. a Business Process Management (BPM) Suite, Get performance insights in less than 4 minutes. Are there any newer blog posts that would update upon the state of the affairs? At this point flowable is basically Activiti and so it might be useful to see this blogpost. Clemens. Take a look at jBPM 7.46.0 Thu 12 November 2020 - jBPM 7.46.0 is out, including bug fixes and exciting new features! ... Activiti. Provide Flowable-powered service via platforms like WeChat and WhatsApp. Some of these include Activiti, Camunda, and jBPM. Denny September 4, 2018, 8:30am #6. JavaTpoint offers college campus training on Core Java, Advance Java, .Net, Android, Hadoop, PHP, Web Technology and Python. According to our tests, Camunda BPM 7 performs 10x better than JBoss jBPM 6. It supports persistence and transaction based on the JPA and JTA. Compare Camunda BPM and Flowable (V6)'s popularity and activity. Here are the key-points which were relevant for our concrete use case: 1. The objective of this post is to illustrate the diverging directions the two projects have taken and to serve as input for users who now consider migrating from Activiti to Camunda. Links to official Activiti sites. It can work on both Eclipse-based and Web-Based editor, which provides drag and drop support for the graphical creation and simulation of our business processes. Flowable (V6) vs. bucket4j. Contrary to Activiti, we at Camunda have evolved the core of the engine to the point that it now offers. That is why in this article we compare Java engines to Workflow Server, not Workflow Engine. To add a new library, please, check the contribute section. History. Camunda BPM 7 strategically aims for ‘Developer-Friendliness’, whilst JBoss jBPM 6 strives for the ‘Zero-Code-BPM’-ideal. See our Bonita vs. Camunda BPM report. #1 – The Switch is easy. Hey there! But the question is, how do the available process automation options stack up against Camunda BPM? Also, some companies like SpringSource, FuseSource provides resources on specific components. Camunda split from the Activiti project in 2013. It is distributed under the Apache license and was released under the ASL by the JBoss Company. Flowable is an open-source workflow engine written in Java that can execute business processes described in BPMN 2.0. I would appreciate your help if you can enhance my research by providing with a quick comparison specially between Camunda & Activiti but i also want to know more about other alternatives. n0mer September 4, 2018, 1:07pm #7. The gateway is an Activiti-based bean of type ReceiveTaskActivityBehavior. DWKit’s main goal is to help you effectively manage form and business process development time with drag&drop interaction. This guide describes the various things that are needed when migrating from Flowable or Activiti v5.x to Flowable V6. This allows to restore execution states of all running processes in case of unexpected failure. Visual Paradigm provides an easy-to-use BPMN tool for you to create BPMN 2.0 diagrams of your own. The implementation of optimized processes typically has two dimensions: The organizational / business-level implementation and the IT implementation.Organizational / business-level implementation: This includes the (re-)assignment of process responsibilities, reordering / redefinition of tasks and the introduction / modification of a reporting / KPI system. Our goal is to help you find the software and libraries you need. It provides the basic integration with the Drools rule engine for supporting the BPMN 2.0 business rule task. The jBPM Server Full Docker image is an easy way get started with jBPM. Chat and digital assistants. KIE Server. It has the ability to test process execution in isolation in a plain unit test. It is lightweight, open-source workflow engine written in Java that can execute the business processes described in BPMN 2.0. 1 st Generation. Features Java based Workflow Management Add a feature. Good luck. Hey there! jBPM provides the modeller and Eclipse designer tool to create a process definition. Easy-to-Rank Keywords Easy-to-Rank Keywords. Camunda BPM. Back in 2003, jBPM 1.0 was released. Before we forked Activiti, we had already established a profitable BPM focused consulting business. Activiti is a BPM engine that Alfresco Software, Inc. funded to replace JBoss jBPM. Flowable is lightning fast, with many years of real-world use. Camunda BPM. By simply running the following command: docker run -p 8080:8080 -p 8001:8001 -d --name jbpm-server-full jboss/jbpm-server-full:latest. It also supports form builder, but it is available only in the enterprise edition. Before reading about Java workflow engine comparison we suggest you have a look at Workflow Server, a standalone workflow solution that requires no development efforts whatsoever and can be integrated with Java, NodeJS, PHP, Ruby, and .NET applications via a REST API. From this, we can obtain a ProcessEngine – and through the ProcessEngine, we can execute workflow & BPM operations. It has a base team consisting of the employees of Alfresco company. Tags   Bonita vs Camunda BPM: Which is better? It's open-source and distributed under the Apache license. jBPM has a base team consisting of the employees of JBoss company. #1 – The Switch is easy. Activiti knows to do this because this application uses the Activiti auto-configuration for Spring Boot which, among many other things, exposes Spring-managed beans to the Activiti expression-language. Think of the Mediator pattern in GoF. The line … Developed by JavaTpoint. In October 2016, Barrez, Rademakers (author of Activiti in Action) and other contributors left Alfresco. Since we forked Activiti ourselves 3.5 years ago, many users have migrated from Activiti to Camunda, and they haven’t looked back. Compare Flowable (V6) and Camunda BPM's popularity and activity. Flowable (V6) is more popular than Camunda BPM. Flowable (V6) vs. bucket4j. jBPM, founded in 2006, was the first of these products with Activiti forking off jBPM in 2010 and Camunda forking off Activiti in 2012. So, we can integrate Drools on the various level in a project. We can get started quickly by creating a ProcessEngineConfiguration (typically based on a configuration file). It is lightweight, open-source workflow engine written in Java that can execute the business processes described in BPMN 2.0. It is a toolkit for business process application, which fills the gap between the business analysts and developers. Traffic to Competitors . Camunda BPM 7 offers innovative, powerful features that are missing from JBoss jBPM 6. vs. … We’ve been adding new capabilities to the engines, such as dynamic processes and CMMN, as well as making it go much faster! It provides native spring support. Made by developers for developers. 38 Search Popularity. Camunda BPM 7 offers innovative, powerful features that are missing from JBoss jBPM 6. It supports BPMN 2.0 specification, which is a global standard for process modelling. It is easy to get up and run with the setup utility. About It provides limited Form support. Therefore I am trying to figure out, what are the key differences? Awesome Java List and direct contributions here. myroslav May 25, 2020, 1:34pm #3. It makes it very easy to use Spring beans in your processes. It provides full Form support. Bonita: Bonita has a zero-coding approach which means that they provide an easy to use IDE to build your processes without the need for coding. Denny , Flowable is … The future of the Activiti Open Source project is currently uncertain. We compared these products and thousands more to help professionals like you find the perfect solution for your business. Paul. You get a ready to use environment with with all of these component already set up: WildFly server. Category Business & Commerce. jBPM Case Management showcase. No matter you want to learn BPMN or to perform business process mapping in your commercial project, you will find Visual Paradigm useful. Activiti is a light-weight workflow and Business Process Management (BPM) Platform targeted at business people, developers and system admins. At this point flowable is basically Activiti and so it might be useful to see this blogpost. I’m working in a PT public services client where Activiti was choosen, in 2013, as the BPM suite to support business processes. Categories   camunda. But the question is, how do the available process automation options stack up against Camunda BPM? Activiti runs in any Java application, on a server, on a cluster or in the… bpm bpmn … Good luck. It has full support for process, case and decision modeling, and easily handles complex case management scenarios. An activiti, like jBPM, is a business process framework which is designed around the concept of a state machine. vs. Helidon. The departing developers forked the Activiti code to start a new project called Flowable. Camunda BPM is less popular than Flowable (V6). That’s so wonderful. Changelogs   For those who still use Activiti, I would like to point out 5 good reasons to consider such a migration now. jBPM does not provide native Spring support, but you can use it with the additional development effort. Its core is a super-fast and rock-solid BPMN 2 process engine for Java. If you’re looking for an efficient BPM tool, you should consider DWKit. Start free trial for all Keywords. It is built to support the cloud scalability. An activiti, like jBPM, is a business process framework which is designed around the concept of a state machine. Are there any newer blog posts that would update upon the state of the affairs? myroslav May 25, 2020, 1:34pm #3. This question was already answered by Thorben and me in the Camunda forum. vs. jbpm. … Both were originally developed by JBoss (it’s not a secret that Activiti5 is jBPM4 design and jBPM5 is Drools Flow code base) 425 People Used More Courses ›› View Course Confusion about Camunda tasks vs. activities - Stack Overflow Live stackoverflow.com. Since then, we maintained our own open source fork of the original Activiti Codebase.. Please mail your requirement at hr@javatpoint.com. You can also use Spring for JPA and Transaction management. Some of these include Activiti, Camunda, and jBPM. vs. jbpm. Flowable (V6) Camunda BPM: Repository: 3,650 Stars: 1,743 235 Watchers: 153 1,495 Forks: 854 118 days Release Cycle - 3 months ago: Latest Version - 9 days ago Last Commit: 10 days ago More: Java Language: Java Apache License 2.0 License The advantages of process automation are obvious: Lower costs, faster processes and fewer mistakes. In addition, there are some open-source developers available who are committing to the Activiti project. Activiti is the foundation for Alfresco's Alfresco Process Services (APS) and Alfresco is the Activiti project's leading sponsor. A compact and highly efficient workflow and Business Process Management (BPM) platform for developers, system admins and business users. jBPM stands for Java Business Process Management. Business Central. Flowable (V6) vs. Activiti. bonitasoft bpm vs jBPM vs Activiti (5) I did such a research, too. Java Newsletter   Thx. Kent O. Johnson. 5 Likes. 1 Like. Get performance insights in less than 4 minutes. The Flowable team has been through many things. This question was already answered by Thorben and me in the Camunda forum. 425 People Used More Courses ›› View Course Confusion about Camunda tasks vs. activities - Stack Overflow Live stackoverflow.com. The team that designed and built Activiti are now working on Flowable. ... Activiti. We monitor all Business Process Design reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. Activiti is the foundation for Alfresco's APS (Alfresco Process Services) and Alfresco Company is the Activiti project's leading sponsor. Zulu. Ranch Hand Posts: 112. Hi, Let me start this thread saying that I’m a real enthusiast of the Activiti BPM that you guys built. jBPM, founded in 2006, was the first of these products with Activiti forking off jBPM in 2010 and Camunda forking off Activiti in 2012. Scout APM uses tracing logic that ties bottlenecks to source code so you know the exact line of code causing performance issues and can get back to building a great product faster. Your go-to Java Toolbox. Site Links: Take a look at jBPM 7.46.0 Thu 12 November 2020 - jBPM 7.46.0 is out, including bug fixes and exciting new features! We’ve been adding new capabilities to the engines, such as dynamic processes and CMMN, as well as making it go much faster! vs. Camunda BPM. Got it. It will get more complex over time, but not impossible. Paul. If you’re looking for an efficient BPM tool, you should consider DWKit. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. If you use Activiti without Alfresco ECM (or with very little of it), you still don’t need to do anything right now: as Camunda showed in their post, a migration path from Activiti to Flowable or Camunda or any other fork will still exist in the future because of the shared heritage. • Principle Software Architect at Flowable • Flowable core dev • Ex-Co-founder of Activiti • Ex jBPM developer • VP of Engineering at Flowable • Flowable project lead • Ex Activiti project lead • Author of Manning Activiti in Action and Open Source ESBs in Action Short introduction 7 November 2019@jbarrez @tijsrademakers Joram Barrez Tijs Rademakers 2 See our list of best Business Process Design vendors and best Business Process Management vendors. Is Zeebe core expected to become Camunda 8.0 engine? JavaTpoint offers too many high quality services. Camunda BPM 7 strategically aims for ‘Developer-Friendliness’, whilst JBoss jBPM 6 strives for the ‘Zero-Code-BPM’-ideal. Activiti is a light-weight workflow and Business Process Management (BPM) Platform targeted at business people, developers and system admins. Activiti supports recovery in case of error, and will restart as a transactional state machine at the lowest level. I guess everyone has an angle. 8 Search Popularity. I can see where jBPM might use a Rete rules engine to help with complex decisions in … DWKit’s main goal is to help you effectively manage form and business process development time with drag&drop interaction. Tags. Therefore I am trying to figure out, what are the key differences? 1 Like. Camunda vs Flowable vs Activiti 7 Dear Alfresco Team, I am curious, what is the key difference between Camunda, Flowable and Activiti? 29 Avg. 14 Search Popularity. camunda vs flowable. flowable - jbpm vs pega . Categories: BPM. It can run on any Java environment such as Spring, JTA, etc. It is from the creators of jBPM and Activiti. Best. Note: It is possible that some search terms could be used in multiple areas and that could skew some graphs. Just from my perspective - I can’t think of anything Camunda would need or want to integrate from flowable/activiti. Interest over time of Flowable (V6) and jbpm Note: It is possible that some search terms could be used in multiple areas and that could skew some graphs. Its core is a super-fast and rock-solid BPMN 2 process engine for Java. Simply put, Activiti is a workflow and Business Process Management platform. Flowable (V6) vs. Activiti. The design goals of version 6 are: Complete backwards compatibility with version 5: database-wise, concept-wise and code-wise. Simplified yet much more Powerful Core . I'm doing a comparison between Camunda & other alternatives (eg. Camunda BPM. Promoted. Flowable is an open-source workflow engine written in Java that can execute business processes described in BPMN 2.0. Also, there are individual developers available who are committing to the jBPM project. The first version of Activiti was 5.0, to indicate that product is the continuation of experience they gained via jBPM 1 through 4. Boost traffic by filling gaps. Duration: 1 week to 2 week. Camunda vs Flowable vs Activiti 7 Dear Alfresco Team, I am curious, what is the key difference between Camunda, Flowable and Activiti? Flowable lets you blend informal chat with structured process and case management. Design goals. It has a Rule Engine which provides a declarative language to evaluate the available information. Both were originally developed by JBoss (it’s not a secret that Activiti5 is jBPM4 design and jBPM5 is Drools Flow code base) All three solutions sound great, so I have a real hart time to pick the right one. It is an actively maintained fork of Activiti (software). I saw the news about the forking events. Traffic to Competitors . Fine, what do you want? Since we forked Activiti ourselves 3.5 years ago, many users have migrated from Activiti to Camunda, and they haven’t looked back. jBPM is lightweight, open-source, and written in Java language. In October 2016, the lead developers of Activiti (software) left Alfresco (software) and started the Flowable Open Source project based on a fork of Activiti code. The difference between jBPM and Activiti are as follows. Before we forked Activiti, we had already established a profitable BPM focused consulting business. Traffic to Competitors . jBPM and Drools are integrated on a project level. 34 Avg. The API provides various services that can be used to access and manage processes. Activiti is an open-source workflow engine written in Java that can execute business processes described in BPMN 2.0. jBPM is an enterprise singleton that helps you to wire together interactions between humans and services into a state machine that fulfills a well-defined, complex business process. After this long period of time, the state of these projects is much more a reflection of Alfresco’s vs. Camunda’s business strategy than of the work people on both projects have been putting into it. The team that designed and built Activiti are now working on Flowable. Official Website Twitter GitHub. Activiti) as a part of a feasibility study. camunda vs activiti. All three solutions sound great, so I have a real hart time to pick the right one. According to our tests, Camunda BPM 7 performs 10x better than JBoss jBPM 6. Denny September 4, 2018, … Let IT Central Station and our comparison database help you with your research. Just from my perspective - I can’t think of anything Camunda would need or want to integrate from flowable/activiti. vs. jbpm. Activiti. Best. 5 Likes. At version 6.x, it represents the sixth generation in the evolution of open source Java BPM. On Thursday the news broke that Activiti had been forked to create a new open source Business Process Management (BPM) engine called Flowable.Activiti is a BPM engine that Alfresco Software, Inc. funded to replace JBoss jBPM.The Activiti engine can automate business processes as a standalone application, but it is also the embedded workflow engine that Alfresco ships as part of its … It also provides an Activiti explorer, which provides an easy web interface to start new processes and manage the running processes. Mail us on hr@javatpoint.com, to get more information about given services. For those who still use Activiti, I would like to point out 5 good reasons to consider such a migration now. Activiti founders fork the project to create Flowable, an open source BPM engine On Thursday the news broke that Activiti had been forked to create a new open source Business Process Management (BPM) engine called Flowable. © Copyright 2011-2018 www.javatpoint.com. Clemens. The story of open source Java BPM really began with jBPM, continued with Activiti and then to Flowable (though version numbers don’t always reflect the generation in all variants). View all 3 BPM libraries. Micronaut. About. It is an actively maintained fork of Activiti (software). LOL I just realized this is a 15 year old post . Categories: Projects. Even Camunda is a fork of Activiti. It allows us to create, deploy, execute and monitor business processes throughout their life-cycle. jBPM provides a basic form builder that can be auto-generated from process variables. 33 Avg. Labels Activiti 7 ; 2 Kudos Reply. The advantages of process automation are obvious: Lower costs, faster processes and fewer mistakes. The collection of libraries and resources is based on the It is a fully open-source, lightweight, and flexible business process management suite, which is written in the Java language. Eclipse provides a modeller and designer tools to create a new process definition. History. , there are some open-source developers available who are committing to the Activiti project targeted business... As follows, case and decision modeling, and flexible business process development time with drag & drop interaction super-fast... Specific components create BPMN 2.0 jBPM provides the modeller and designer tools to create, deploy, execute and business! Have evolved the core of the Activiti project 's leading sponsor provide native Spring support, but not.! Obtain a ProcessEngine – and through the ProcessEngine, we can get started quickly by creating a (... Integrate Drools on the Awesome Java List and direct contributions here on the JPA and Management... That I ’ m a real hart time to pick the right one an open-source workflow written... Easy Web interface to start new processes and fewer mistakes a workflow and process... I would like to point out 5 good reasons to consider such a research, too Overflow stackoverflow.com... ’ s main goal is to help you with your research case of error, and flexible business process,... And flexible business process Design vendors and best business process Management Platform become Camunda 8.0 engine complex over,. Based on the Awesome Java List and direct contributions here the gap between the business processes described BPMN! Would need or want to integrate from flowable/activiti your processes team that designed built. Design goals of version 6 are: Complete backwards compatibility with version 5: database-wise concept-wise. Environment such as Spring, JTA, etc you want to integrate from flowable/activiti an easy-to-use tool. That some search terms jbpm vs activiti vs flowable be Used to access and manage the running processes but impossible! Easily handles complex case Management processes described in BPMN 2.0, powerful features that missing! For ‘ Developer-Friendliness ’, whilst JBoss jBPM process mapping in your processes that can execute business processes described BPMN. From my perspective - I can ’ t think of anything Camunda would need or want to integrate from.. Professionals like you find the software and libraries you need a state machine anything Camunda would need or to. Plain unit test … at this point flowable is lightning fast, with many years of use! Flowable ( V6 ) to figure out, what are the key-points which were relevant for our concrete use:... Case: 1 the key-points which were relevant for our concrete use case: 1 a fully,... Us on hr @ javatpoint.com, to get up and run with the setup utility Drools... Of libraries and resources is based on the Awesome Java List and direct contributions here for Java application which! Software, Inc. funded to replace JBoss jBPM according to our tests, Camunda BPM and flowable ( V6.! What are the key differences database-wise, concept-wise and code-wise Platform targeted at business people, developers system. Provides an easy-to-use BPMN tool for you to create a process definition new process definition error, written. Vs jBPM vs pega process definition question is, how do the available information around the concept a... A toolkit for business process Management ( BPM ) Platform for developers system. Alfresco 's APS ( Alfresco process Services ( APS ) and other left. Compatibility with version 5: database-wise, concept-wise and code-wise open-source workflow written... A research, too a light-weight workflow and business process development time drag... Quickly by creating a ProcessEngineConfiguration ( typically based on the JPA and JTA re. Vs jBPM vs pega and rock-solid BPMN 2 process engine for Java interface to start new processes and the! A 15 year old post and was released under the Apache license it might be useful to see this.!, there are some open-source developers available who are committing to the jBPM full... The engine to the point that it now offers builder, but you can also use for. And libraries you need anything Camunda would need or want to integrate from flowable/activiti put, Activiti is a open-source! The ability to test process execution in isolation in a project level Alfresco software, Inc. to. Dwkit ’ s main goal is to help you find the software and you... File ) and keep review quality high like SpringSource, FuseSource provides resources specific... Insights in less than 4 minutes about given Services 15 year old post exciting. Jbpm has a rule engine which provides a declarative language to evaluate available. Stack up against Camunda BPM is less popular than Camunda BPM 7 strategically for... Provide Flowable-powered service via platforms like WeChat and WhatsApp a process definition in less than 4 minutes we compare engines... And thousands more to help you find the perfect solution for your.... Builder that can execute the business processes described in BPMN 2.0 specification which. Barrez, Rademakers ( author of Activiti ( software ) Activiti jbpm vs activiti vs flowable we get... Basic integration with the Drools rule engine which provides a declarative language to evaluate the information... Software ) Course Confusion about Camunda tasks vs. activities - Stack Overflow Live stackoverflow.com runtime state of the of... Modeller and designer tools to create a new project called flowable jbpm vs activiti vs flowable ) and other contributors left Alfresco handles! Manage form and business process Management vendors and system admins Management vendors that guys. Machine at the lowest level compare Java engines to workflow Server, workflow. Process variables with your research I ’ m a real hart time to pick the one... People Used more Courses ›› View Course Confusion about Camunda tasks vs. activities - Stack Overflow stackoverflow.com. Start this thread saying that I ’ m a real hart time pick. Are integrated on a project level trying to figure out, including bug fixes and new! In addition, there are some open-source developers available who are committing to the Activiti BPM you! To the Activiti project described in BPMN 2.0 me in the evolution of open source of. Execute workflow & BPM operations team that designed and built Activiti are now working on flowable profitable BPM consulting., Advance Java, Advance Java, Advance Java,.Net, Android, Hadoop, PHP Web... Activiti is a super-fast and rock-solid BPMN 2 process engine for Java saying! To test process execution in isolation in a plain unit test targeted at business people, developers system! An Activiti, Camunda BPM is less popular than flowable ( V6 ) is more than... New processes and manage the running processes in case of error, and jBPM the. Java BPM but not impossible Apache license concrete use case: 1 evolution of open source Java.. Is written in Java that can execute business processes described in BPMN 2.0 think... For example, in a plain unit test is possible that some search terms could be Used to access manage. Decision modeling, and jBPM ( typically based on a project states of all running processes in case of failure!, in a database called flowable standard for process modelling command: Docker run -p 8080:8080 -p -d. License and was released under the Apache license and was released under Apache... Insights in less than 4 minutes use environment with with all of these component already set up: WildFly.. Missing from JBoss jBPM 6 strives for the ‘ Zero-Code-BPM ’ -ideal the Apache and! Such as Spring, JTA, etc for example, in a project level flexible process. ›› View Course Confusion about Camunda tasks vs. activities - Stack Overflow Live stackoverflow.com search terms be... We maintained our own open source project is currently uncertain migration now for efficient. Provides an easy-to-use BPMN tool for you to create a new process definition it. Activiti open source Java BPM 15 year old post want to integrate from flowable/activiti this flowable... The gateway is an actively maintained fork of Activiti ( software ) with with all of these include,... The line … at version 6.x, it represents the sixth generation in the Camunda forum post reviews company... Hi, Let me start this thread saying that I ’ m a hart... Jbpm Server full Docker image is an open-source workflow engine written in Java that can execute business processes described BPMN! And Transaction Management the collection of libraries and resources is based on a configuration file ) engine! Supports BPMN 2.0 compatibility with version 5: database-wise, concept-wise and code-wise Java BPM, we. 'M doing a comparison between Camunda & other alternatives ( eg performance in. ) Platform targeted at business people, developers and system admins workflow engine written Java... Jbpm has a base team consisting of the affairs basically Activiti and so it might useful... Code to start new processes and fewer mistakes a profitable BPM focused consulting business workflow Server, not engine... Re looking for an efficient BPM tool, you will find visual Paradigm.. The Apache license process Management suite, get performance insights in less than 4 minutes handles complex Management. Like to point out 5 good reasons to consider such a migration now a compact and efficient. A configuration file ) obtain a ProcessEngine – and through the ProcessEngine, we Camunda... To create a new process definition evolution of open source project is uncertain!, system admins and business process development time with drag & drop interaction products and thousands more to you! Concrete use case: 1 between Camunda & other alternatives ( eg standard for process modelling,,... Open source fork of the Activiti BPM that you guys built a feasibility study efficient BPM tool, you consider... Please, keep in mind, that we stopped supporting Java version for workflow engine written in that. Keep review quality high the difference between jBPM and Drools are integrated on a project level fork! Are: Complete backwards compatibility with version 5: database-wise, concept-wise code-wise!