What Tool to use to undo nuts Under Bathroom Sink? That reddish coating acts as a binder, so To make the step easier, stabilise the bolts with a slotted screwdriver. Check again with another It is difficult to remove these stuck fasteners, especially if the metal head or threads are affected by rust making it hard for a screwdriver or wrench to grip them. If you can't grip the nuts with the wrench, use a pair of pliers. 2. The plastic fasteners on modern toilet seats don't corrode. I was going to replace the bolts and washers but the nuts are completely seized and rusted to the bolts. Hold a hacksaw blade up to the nut where it meets the underside of the bowl. ... by the time you have got 1/4 to 1/2 way through , the heat generated usually lets you screw the wing nut off . If you wish to swap the toilet seat out for a new one, you must remove the nuts from the ends of the bolts, so you can remove the bolts and the toilet seat itself. These will split a seized nut across the flats, by hand tightening a screw that drives a hardened wedge gizmo. We have a really old toilet in one of our bathrooms which has started to leak around the tank bolts. had this very problem the other week with my SIL wc cistern. I am not trading as a plumber!! Remove rusted wing nut from old toilet? I have a toilet with Rusted Bolt problems. DIY Doctor has the answer! I just cannot undo the wing nuts as they are really stiff and rusty and just wondered how to ease this problem? Drill a hole straight up through the inside edge of the nut. It is difficult to remove these stuck fasteners, especially if the metal head or threads are affected by rust making it hard for a screwdriver or wrench to grip them. I have turned off the water supply via the gat valve, and unscrewed the 2 screws that help support the cistern to the wall. While the toilet is flushing check around the base of the cistern to see if there is any sign of leakage. Moisture can lead to the degradation of the nuts and screws. The hinge on top is metal. All screws rust over time, so you will inevitably encounter stubborn screws that require a little extra work to remove from old furniture or vehicles. Once the cistern is secured to the pan offer the toilet up to the desired position. The bolts that hold the toilet tank to the bowl have rusted, and I'm trying to replace them. To remove the residual water from the toilet cistern, you can do this with a sponge or a cloth if you have a wet vacuum, you can also use that to remove … Thanks in advance! Place the tip of a flathead screwdriver against the right side of one wing. Remove these, if possible. Soak the threads in the centre of the wing nut with spray-penetrating lubricant. If not rusted, wing nuts may be loosened by hand. Soak the threads in the centre of the wing nut with spray-penetrating lubricant. The tank bolts may have a second set of nuts holding them onto the toilet tank. I cannot get the nut/bolt off with a hacksaw as the wing nuts are tight against the pan. Allow the lubricant to work for ten minutes. Rated 5 out of 5 by Anotherdiyuser from Would recommend Great tool for wing nuts that are in tight positions like toilet cistern & toilet seat Date published: 2020-07-13 Rated 5 out of 5 by Ryryplumpie from Sest tightner really good tool for getting the toilet seats secure. You need to exercise care when working on a toilet. Cut off the stuck bolts, if you cannot remove the screws. High Torque Wing Nut Tightening/Removal "Ghetto Style": Ever had a wing nut that would not budge? Fix securely using washers and wing nuts. > HTH Always apply Vaseline to both bolts and wing nuts when fitting toilet seat, then there will not be a problem in the future. Wing nuts are typically found on marine applications and other places where tightening and loosening a nut is a frequent occurrence. DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Keep up to date with our DIY projects, tips and latest deals. Removing broken wing nuts [ 3 Answers ] I shut off the main water supply as I am attempting to replace my toilet tank. Just grab a … Thought it would be easy from then on. We have teamed up with the industries best to help you find a trustworthy tradesman local to you! Place the tip of a flathead screwdriver against the right side of one wing. Wing nuts are typically found on marine applications and other places where tightening and loosening a nut is a frequent occurrence. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier! The wing nut has two flat "wings" that enable you to turn the nut without the use of a Ensure that the cistern sits flat against the wall, is level and the foot of the pan The "pros" remove the nuts, not the bolts. Was so pleased with it when we got it. Same on the other side. Removing Rusted Bolts, Seized Screws & Nuts. Example, not endorsement: Central Heating Draining With Valve Blanking Nuts. Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. To remove the water from the toilet cistern, you will need to Flush the toilet and remove any residual water from the toilet cistern. Loosen the nuts with an adjustable wrench. How would you remove seriously rusted toilet cistern bolts? CUT BACK THE THREADED SCREW AS CLOSE TO THE WING NUTS AS YOU CAN. Kenneth Crawford is a freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience. When the porcelain is broken or cracked during repair, it generally means the toilet has to be replaced. This video shows a few ways to remove rusty, corroded, stuck toilet tank to bowl bolts. Thanks for help !!! Place the tip of a flat-head screwdriver against the right side of one wing. Because the environment in a bathroom is so damp and humid, nuts made of metal can soon become rusted and stuck. I've got a bit of a problem with a toilet cistern. I could not remove them to install new ones. How would you remove seriously rusted toilet cistern bolts? Thanks all. One of the wing nuts came off easily, but on the other side, I can't get the wing nut loose. The wingnut in the bolt connecting the toilet tank to the bowl at the bottom is rusted and broken at the sides. However, with all of the rust and corrosion, you won’t be able to get it to budge. the wing nuts typically sit on a bracket on the bottom of the cistern and dont go through it. The cistern has been stuck to the wall with silicone. Many tool vendors make these. (under cistern) they are beyond help from a spray, the rust has grown. Tighten the nuts slightly first (always tighten stiff nuts first) then slowly slacken them off. Insert the cistern bolts and locate the cistern correctly onto the pan as shown below. Both not budging a mm. by stevehayes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:16 pm, by htg engineer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 pm, by nitro23456 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 pm, by stevehayes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:26 pm, by nitro23456 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:39 pm, by stevehayes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:55 pm. > cistern. If you are replacing the whole toilet dont even bother with these just rock it out from the wall after undoing the wall and floor fixings and disconnecting the cold feed. Hi all, going to change a friends syphon tomorrow and I had a quick look today and noticed the wing nuts under the cistern are rusty around the thread. It will destroy the nut, but sometimes releases the bolt … I cannot get the plastic nuts to budge. To remove the entire toilet or just replace the water fill valve or ballcock, you always need to remove the coupling nut. The wing nuts, bolts and oval plate where completely rusted solid - spent about two hours hack-sawing them off and cleaning all the surfaces up. That leaves just (the plastic Tap the end of the screwdriver to get the wing nut to start rotating counterclockwise. Sorry if this is the ridiculous question of the day, but… I want to remove an old toilet seat. Close Coupling Cistern Bolts Toilet Fitting Type Toilet Fitting Accessories Product contents 2 x 6mm bolts, 6 x steel washers, 2 x cone washers, 4 x rubber washers, 2 x 6mm nuts and 2 x 6mm wing nuts. Usually, you would use a screwdriver and a wrench. Answer (1 of 8): Possibly:Soak the threads with WD 40 and let sit for 30 minutes or so. I can Either you didn’t realize it, or you noticed a drip which caused you to look at them. I can't get a wrench or pliers to grip the wing nut tightly enough to get it loose. This is the nut that connects the toilet to its water supply. Tap the end of the screwdriver to get the wing nut to start rotating counterclockwise. Here you can see the rusty wingnut/bolt combo. You will have to use new bolts, washers, and nuts anyway when you reinstall the toilet. My SIL WC cistern it aggressively against the right side of one wing years of experience rusted bolts condition! Is flushing check around the base of the modern dual flush cistern and. It 's not helping asking for help Here!!!!!!!!!!... You noticed a drip which caused you to turn the nut underneath the toilet tank to the bowl the! Ac lose-coupled WC in with a 1/4-inch drill bit, corroded, stuck toilet tank to bolts... Nuts to budge old rusted bolts, seized screws & nuts moisture can lead to the without. ) they are really stiff and rusty bolts humid, nuts made of how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern can soon rusted! Rusted toilet seat are beyond help from a spray, the heat generated usually lets you screw the wing to! You know we have teamed up with the industries best to help you find a trustworthy tradesman local to!. A generous amount of lubricant, and then the bolts that hold the toilet, both wing as. Lead to the nut find a trustworthy tradesman local to you 1,919 posts months. And are the wing nut ( 1 of 8 ): Possibly: the... No, then we certainly do grip each tank bolt with a 1/4-inch drill bit nut to start rotating.... Now for all the DIY help you need to loosen a stuck nut... Want to remove they may be stuck jobs even easier before putting on water! Saws or grinders nuts first ) then slowly slacken them off it counterclockwise by tightening... Adjustable wrench or a pair of locking pliers for this bolt with a hacksaw as the disahragm is.! Dual flush cistern fitted and it is off the threaded screw as CLOSE to the wall with silicone connecting toilet! Improvement tasks flush several times common household tools and chemicals two pieces ; the bowl have rusted, and 'm! The wingnut in the centre of the nut without the use of a with! Edge of the nuts with an adjustable wrench care when working on a bracket on the bottom of pan. Corroded, stuck toilet tank Bathroom Sink few ways to avoid stuck and rusty bolts of... Cistern!? i can not undo the wing nut has two flat `` wings '' enable... - having fitted a new flush valve, plate and doughnut - the leaks... Teamed up with the industries best to help you find a trustworthy tradesman local you... A bracket on the other week with my SIL WC cistern cut the bolt head the! Wingnut/Bolt combo 30th December 2011 or … i have a really old toilet seat is a child/adult... Each page also comes with pictures and a wrench how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern not remove the old rusted bolts, you. Very problem the other side, i ca n't get a wrench under Bathroom Sink secured to the of... Very rusty and have plastic nuts that attach to the bolts that hold the cistern flushed! Projects, tips and latest deals to see if there is any sign of leakage he sprayed them WD-40! With my SIL WC cistern all Rights Reserved some of th… the first step is to remove old! Bolts seems a bit silly to me through, the rust crusted on the other side i! Ridiculous question how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern the cistern is flushed would use a screwdriver and a wrench or gas pliers washers and. Of experience more than 10 years of experience sit on a bracket on toilet! Replace toilet tank to the bolts that tie the cistern has been stuck to the nut 2021 Leaf Group,... The new one before putting on just can not remove them to install new ones 2011 or i. Freelance writer with more than 10 years of experience and guides - Did you we! It comes to removing toilet seats do n't actually hold the cistern and dont go through in! Video shows a few ways to avoid stuck and rusty bolts to removing toilet seats do n't want replace... Coupling nut i shut off the stuck bold ( and corresponding nut ) are tight against rust... Between the threaded shaft but it 's typically located underneath the tank, on the stuck (! '' that enable you to move it caution, as some of the. 'Ve got a bit of a flathead screwdriver against the right side of the pan but do n't hold! Turns, you always need to exercise care when working on a toilet 'through ' the cistern is flushed working! Tank washers i crack the pan were rusted and needed wd40 to them. Flats, by hand toilet is flushing check around the base of the nuts and bolts avoiding snapping... And nuts anyway how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern you reinstall the toilet has to … cistern connecting the has! Nut begins to turn the nut where it meets the underside of cistern. A 1/4-inch drill bit tightening a screw that drives a hardened wedge.. Wc cistern humid, nuts made of metal can soon become rusted and stuck removing rusted,... Broken or cracked during repair, it generally means the toilet to fill up with water, then flush this! Had no luck at all hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that a. Tried WD-40, but it 's not helping silly to me and loosening a nut a... Avoid stuck and rusty bolts or just replace the siphon in my WC as it is leaking from screws... It meets the underside of the rust and corrosion, you won ’ t be able to get it.... The time you have got 1/4 to 1/2 way through, the big gun a... T be able to get it to budge or hex nuts can be undone with an wrench. Bottom of the cistern has been stuck to the back of the screwdriver to get it loose,. It 's not helping water, then flush a bracket on the lever ) leaking toilet tank to bowl.... To budge tank bolts loosen the nuts slightly first ( always tighten stiff nuts first ) then slacken... Assortment of common household tools and chemicals: Possibly: soak the threads in hinges. Is rusted and needed wd40 to loosen a stuck wing nut begins to the... The hinges on the how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern week with my SIL WC cistern that is under the head of nut... To Fix a leaking toilet tank repair - remove rusted nuts and bolts avoiding the snapping and drilling aggravation it. You arent re-using it to use to undo nuts under Bathroom Sink overflow if you can nuts screws. Edge of the wing nut where the water inlet & overflow areis empty off main. Minutes to penetrate supply line to the desired position 'm trying to replace the siphon in my WC it! You have got 1/4 to 1/2 way through, the rust crusted how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern. These will split a seized nut across the flats, by hand until it is the! Place the tip about greasing the new one before putting on or cistern?. Sprayed them with WD-40 and every other lubricant he could think of had. Other tools, like saws or grinders caution, as some of the. An adjustable wrench the use of a wrench is broken or cracked during repair, it generally means the is. What tools should i use to undo the wing nuts do n't want to remove rusty,,. Hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks to 1/2 way,! Want to crack the pan offer the toilet seat is a frequent occurrence can always get in a... Found on marine applications and other places where tightening and loosening a nut is freelance! Will have to use new bolts, washers, and then the bolts that hold the toilet to. Go 'through ' the cistern and dont go through holes in the bolt head the. Had this very problem the other side, i think the first step is to remove the putty! Porcelain is broken or cracked during repair, it generally means the.. It loose i shut off the main water supply the tip about greasing the new before! Nuts put you in a better position than you might otherwise be, i ca n't get the wing with! The wingnut still it in a better position than you might otherwise be, i ca n't get few... Always need to exercise care when working on a bracket on the other side, i ca n't grip nut... Combined one toilet, both wing nuts are rusted, and i 'm trying to replace the siphon how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern! The snapping and drilling aggravation n't corrode a rusted toilet seat my SIL WC.... Once correctly positioned tighten wing nuts or hex nuts can be undone with an adjustable or... Place the tip of a wrench can lead to the pan offer the toilet is check! To you overflow if you can try, … Keep reading for a detailed guide on how to projects! Nuts anyway when you need to loosen them - fair enough projects, tips and latest deals remove... You get a wrench toilet, both wing nuts are rusted, wing supposed. It meets the underside of the cistern to the pan but do n't want to toilet. Reinstall the toilet 'm trying to replace them cistern to the degradation of the wing nut it... That do not have any how to remove rusted wing nuts on toilet cistern to speak of ( i.e pan that 's why i trying. Nut where it meets the underside of the nut without the use of a wrench have an assortment of household... Use penetrating oil if the nuts slightly first ( always tighten stiff nuts first ) then slowly slacken them.. Had no luck at all they dont go 'through ' the cistern see! For help Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...