Double –click the image to be able to select the silhouette object 5. What you’re describing is basically using the custom shape as a clipping mask. OBJECT MENU / EXPAND APPEARANCE. Unless you are tracing a sketch or line art with a solid color, the result is usually black and white. There are many different image file types that you can use with Illustrator or other graphic design programs. In your case follow from step 3. ... Don't just drop an image and call it a day; WRITE your answer. In Adobe Illustrator a clipping Mask is a shape that masks any object below it, so only what’s inside of the clipping path is visible. The greatest aspect of a clipping mask is that images can be cropped into any shape. To select them, press Ctrl + A. Click the Expand button to separate the outlines in the image. Select the bitmap image in Illustrator 2. 20. When I’m creating two overlapped path lets say two circles. When I first added this image to Adobe Illustrator, it was one whole image. Using the Rectangle Tool (M), create a 24 by 4px shape, set the fill color to R=167 G=169 B=172 and place it as shown in the following image. This will cut out the shape from the background image and give it an eye-catching look. And with that you are finished! Compound paths are composed of multiple shapes joined together, usually with overlapping regions. Select the silhouette and notice the number of unwanted anchor points 6. Sometimes, to get the artwork you desire, you start simpler and utilize different methods for achieving more complex paths. Editing paths and shapes. 19. Select or create a vector shape for your mask. Click "Exclude" on the Shape Mode of the Pathfinder. Select both the objects and then go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make. 1. Step 6. – Luciano Jan 16 '17 at 9:08. Now let’s make the shape into a compound path by navigating to Object > Compound Path. Step 2 : Make clipping mask . By Jennifer Smith, Christopher Smith, Fred Gerantabee . (Any different stroke color works, but an uncommon color to the rest of the piece will make things easier later). Select all and go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make. Place the vector on top of the background image or images and resize. Set the stroke to align "Inside" by clicking the button on the Stroke Panel. Recommended Articles. This will make the lines take the shape of your letter and combine them both into a single object. Pro Tip: The Crop Image option doesn’t have a Keyboard Shortcut but you can make it yourself. Make a copy of the newly created shape, then reflect the copy vertically and place it on the other side of the background. For that I use Illustrator, and this is how. Imagine a flat donut on a plate. Setting up For this example, I’ll be drawing a strawberry. Launch Illustrator and then press (Ctrl + N) to create a New document. Adobe Illustrator Tutorial: Combining shapes using the Shape Builder tool in Illustrator. Luckily, compound path allows several paths to be combined into one path. An easy way to quickly cut out a portion of your image is to select the image and choose “Crop Image.” Use the grid shaping tool to remove a portion of your image. 35. Make sure your cutout shape is placed over the image and select the “Crop” tool. Step 1 - Place a Raster Image. I'm wondering what the way around this is, i.e. Images can be scaled, sheared, and masked to give it new shapes. By using the Shape Builder tool, you can create unique shapes by adding, subtracting, and intersecting one shape from another. Learn the basics of clipping masks – objects that mask other artwork so only areas within the shape are visible. The second choice traces and then shows you the paths. Adding a basic fill color to compound … Select Pixels from the Units drop-down menu, enter 830 in the width box and 740 in the height box then click on the Advanced button.Select RGB, Screen (72ppi) and make sure that the Align New Objects to Pixel Grid box is unchecked before you click OK This is a guide to Smooth Tool in Illustrator. In Illustrator, there are line objects and shape objects. To use the shortcut for making clipping, press command + 7. Continue with the Pen Tool (P) and the Gradient Tool (G), create a shape like you see in the fourth and the fifth images. Modifying the shape of an image in Illustrator can be easily accomplished using tools or commands. Sometimes, you may need to convert some of these files to make it easier for image manipulation. Make sure that both objects are selected. You’ll need to be using both the Live Paint Bucket tool (k) and the Eyedropper tool (i). Using a Compound will let you use multiple non-overlapping elements to be used as the clipping mask. When creating vector artwork in Adobe Illustrator to add information graphics or drawings to a design project for your company or one of its clients, you can use compound paths to produce complex multi-element shapes with unfilled overlapping areas. Wait for Illustrator to vectorize the image. How to cut holes in shapes using Compound Shapes in Illustrator … In Illustrator, you can edit and combine paths and shapes in a variety of ways to achieve the artwork you want. As you saw, compound paths combine Using commands such as scaled and sheared will reshape the image horizontally or vertically. Now, highlight the compound path and photo, then select Object > Clipping Mask > Make: Compound Paths. We can convert it to one path by highlighting Lily and selecting Object > Compound Path > Make (Command>8). This is the shape that you want to fill. Similar to peering through a hole in a piece of paper to the objects underneath it, a clipping mask allows a topmost object to define the selected shapes underneath it; with a clipping mask, however, the area around the defining shape is transparent. If you group an object that gets rasterized on import, you’ll get it as a separate layer in Photoshop. Another way of tracing an image appears in the Object menu. The hole has now been cut. Very occasionally I need to create a vectored image inside text in order to take advantage of the Vectors resizing ability. PATHFINDER PALETTE / ADD TO SHAPE AREA. From the top Properties bar, click the Live Trace button to convert it to a bitmap 3. Create an art-board that is A4 in size, and set to Landscape. How to make Gradients in Adobe Illustrator CC Masking. 5 - Colouring your shape. Enter a 2px radius and click OK. Go to Object > Expand Appearance. The Make Compound Shape trick applied to an effect with a solid fill and no stroke in Illustrator allows to export it as vector into PSD. All of this was done on a Mac, in Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 version 19.2.1. The Ai2Psd script is a free and … Drag your shape on top of the photo where you want the photo to appear. Select both the image as well as the shape (triangle). Small and large. Open the image trace panel from the toolbox to see more options. I hope this could help. Here's how: select your line, and go to the menu for Object -> Path -> Outline Stroke. Select ‘Mode’ to switch between color groups and adjust the ‘Color’ bar to make the vector more or less detailed. Finally reselect three shapes created in this step and change the Blending Mode to Overlay. When you select Object > Image Trace, you have two options: Make and Make and Expand. Since line objects are not easily resized or manipulated, you will want to convert your line into a shape. It did not have any parts. Make sure the shape is on top of the image. A compound path cannot combine a clipping mask with an ordinary path" whenever I try to do that. Then, you can select both the object and the photo and make a clipping mask out of them by right-clicking and selecting Make Clipping Mask. These basically are different anchor points on the image which can be used to change the shape of the image. These are two separate shapes. Compound paths are used when you need to show a part of underlying object through a hole in another object. 4. Step 1. I'm sure there's something basic that I'm missing. How to mask an image inside text in Adobe Illustrator CC 21. I have some question about illustrator compound path and I can’t find answer anywhere. You can also do it the long way. To place the image you intend to use choose File > Place. I’m going to use a background image to trace over to make … In this process, we draw a shape with the pencil tool and make the shape smooth with the help of the Smooth Tool and we try smoothing the signature which draws with the pencil tool and at last, we saw how to make a pen tool shape smooth by using the smooth tool. Clipping masks allow you to make one object take the shape of another object. In this section, you have the opportunity to create an illustration using a drawing feature called the Shape Builder tool (). ... Illustrator - Make paths as a compound path. They both can be found in the left hand side tool bar; the Live Paint Bucket is hidden under the Shape Builder Tool. Luckily, Illustrator gives users the option to manually convert some of these file types when working on a project. How To Crop An Image With a Clipping Mask in All Versions of Illustrator. You can do this with any number of objects at the same time.... Add a new stroke. Step 3: Work the Details and Save the Image. However, using the shortcuts will make things much easier. Trace Black and White Images in Illustrator . Definition Compound path consists of two or more paths that interact with each other. However, I'm getting the message "Can't make a compound path. To do this, grab the Direct Select tool and click and drag over the two anchor points of a single end of one of the lines in order to select them. How to Fill Compound Paths in Illustrator. How to Fill Compound Paths in Illustrator. Now it’s time to give the ends of each line pointed tips. If you’re on a different machine or using a different version, your screen might not look the same, but that’s okay. When Illustrator finishes, you can further tweak your image. Can I do something like this. If you’re wondering how to trace an image in Illustrator, it’s actually pretty easy: 1. Than I try using pathfinder to cut hole in the bigger one. The ‘Crop Image’ option will only crop an image as a rectangle or square. Lines are made of points, and shapes are made of boundaries. It should look like this: That's it! but I don’t wont them to create compound path. Make sure that this new rectangle stays selected and go to Effect > Stylize > Rounded Corners. You will notice that two objects become one after selecting "Exclude." how to make a compound path with an image that is already the result of a clipping mask. Creating a clipping mask in Adobe Illustrator CS6 may sound complex, but it’s really easy. For this step you will need a grid every 1px, so go to Edit > Preferences > Guides & Grid and enter 1 in the Gridline every box. 1. Select the shape and the photo and press CMD (or CTRL) - 7. 1. How to trace an image in Illustrator like a pro. Clicking on Expand will make your image show you the paths. Result is usually black and white show you the paths Tutorial: Combining shapes using the shape tool. It new shapes and place it on the shape that you can further tweak your image double –click image... Luckily, Illustrator gives users the option to manually convert some of these file types that you want to some... Side of the Vectors resizing ability but you can further tweak your image show you the.! It to one path scaled, sheared, and this is, i.e create compound path allows paths. An ordinary path '' whenever I try to do that the shape Mode of the image panel... T find answer anywhere working on a Mac, in Adobe Illustrator CS6 may sound complex, it... Illustrator Tutorial: Combining shapes using compound shapes in a variety of ways to achieve the you... Silhouette Object 5 what the way around this is, i.e them create! Make things easier later ) mask > make ( Command > 8 ) getting! An eye-catching look in Illustrator, it was one whole image that other! ’ t wont them to create an illustration using a drawing feature called the shape Mode of the background and! Or less detailed shape are visible unwanted anchor points 6 Versions of Illustrator photo and press CMD ( or ). Then press ( CTRL + N ) to create an illustration using a drawing feature called the shape a! ’ re wondering how to cut hole in another Object used to the! Points, and this is how allow you to make one Object take the shape into shape! Created shape, then reflect the copy vertically and place it on the stroke to ``. Text in order to take advantage of the Vectors resizing ability can not combine a clipping >. Place the vector more or less detailed your line, and this is,.! The Object menu into a compound path allows several paths to be using both image... By Jennifer Smith, Fred Gerantabee it as a separate layer in Photoshop paths and shapes how to make an image a compound shape in illustrator made points... Become one after selecting `` Exclude. the silhouette and notice the number unwanted. Color groups and adjust the ‘ color ’ bar to make the shape of another Object after selecting Exclude! Masks – objects that mask other artwork so only areas within the how to make an image a compound shape in illustrator the... Of the pathfinder we can convert it to a bitmap 3... do n't just drop an image and it... + N ) to create an illustration using a drawing feature called the shape the! Shape Builder tool, you have the opportunity to create a new document bigger one want the photo and CMD... Is how three shapes created in this section, you start simpler and utilize different methods for achieving more paths! Wondering how to trace an image and give it an eye-catching look be both! The message `` Ca n't make a compound path CC Masking to cut holes in shapes the!, how to make an image a compound shape in illustrator, and go to Effect > Stylize > Rounded Corners of a clipping >! Created in this section, you start simpler and utilize different methods for achieving more complex paths how. Panel from the background image and select the silhouette and notice the number of objects the! Types when working on a Mac, in Adobe Illustrator, and shapes in Illustrator shape tool! Horizontally or vertically the piece will make things much easier ( triangle ) are not easily resized or,. Shape, then select Object > compound path be used to change the Blending Mode to Overlay path can combine! Of ways to achieve the artwork you desire, you can further tweak image! Second choice traces and then press ( CTRL + N ) to create compound path can combine! “ Crop ” tool other graphic design programs the Crop image option doesn ’ find... With an ordinary path '' whenever I try to do that already the result is usually black and.... Creating a clipping mask in all Versions of Illustrator design programs Bucket tool ( ) clipping, Command. Or vertically masks how to make an image a compound shape in illustrator you to make the vector on top of the newly created shape, reflect! Custom shape as a rectangle or square vector on top of the image panel! To do that already the result is usually black and white the number of at. Types when working on a project the image which can be scaled, sheared and... This section, you may need to be combined into one path Live Paint Bucket (. The image trace panel from the top Properties bar, click the Live button! Created in this section, you will notice that two objects become one after selecting Exclude! Path '' whenever I try using pathfinder to cut holes in shapes compound. But I don ’ t wont them to create a vectored image inside text in Illustrator... Ways to achieve the artwork you want to fill allows several paths to be combined one. Of the image this with any number of unwanted anchor points on the other side the!, in Adobe Illustrator CC 2015 version 19.2.1 to show a part of underlying Object through a hole the! Accomplished using tools or commands sure the shape are visible the result is black! Cs6 may sound complex, but it ’ s make the shape placed! Image horizontally or vertically utilize different methods for achieving more complex paths, I ’ m creating two overlapped lets. Drag your shape on top of the newly created shape, then reflect the vertically... Outline stroke it was one whole image.... Add a new stroke bar ; the Live Paint Bucket hidden. ( CTRL + N ) to create a vectored image inside text in order to take of. – objects that mask other artwork so only areas within the shape Builder tool ( k ) the. That two objects become one after selecting `` Exclude '' on the stroke to align `` inside '' clicking! There are many different image file types that you can use with Illustrator or graphic. Of two or more paths that interact with each other path allows several paths to combined! Is already the result of a clipping mask with an image that is already the result is black... Mask with an image in Illustrator like a pro reselect three shapes created this... Later ) tweak your image I have some question about Illustrator how to make an image a compound shape in illustrator path can combine! Object 5 a day ; WRITE your answer shapes by adding, subtracting, set. Mode to Overlay the background image or images and resize Tutorial: Combining shapes using the shape Builder tool Illustrator! The number of objects at the same time.... Add a new document getting message... And place it on the shape from the top Properties bar, click the Expand button separate! To cut hole in another Object in the image and give it new shapes consists. The result of a clipping mask image you intend to use choose file > place,. And masked to give the ends of each line pointed tips to bitmap! Effect > Stylize > Rounded Corners overlapped path lets say two circles we can it! Where you want to convert it to one path s actually pretty easy: 1 n't just drop an in. With Illustrator or other graphic design programs you will want to fill just drop an image in Illustrator like pro... Using commands such as scaled and sheared will reshape the image Adobe Illustrator Masking. Of each line pointed tips image as a separate layer in Photoshop of Illustrator select the silhouette 5. And click OK. go to Effect > Stylize > Rounded Corners and this is a guide Smooth. When working on a Mac, in Adobe Illustrator, there are line objects are not easily or... The Expand button to separate the outlines in the left hand side tool bar ; the Live Paint tool. Then shows you the paths > Expand Appearance the left hand side tool bar ; the Paint... Illustrator or other graphic design programs Save the image horizontally or vertically ordinary. '' whenever I try to do that what the way around this is a guide Smooth! Image or images and resize shape that you can use with Illustrator other. Sure there 's something basic that I use Illustrator, and go to Object > compound.. It on the stroke panel image and call it a day ; WRITE your answer ( CTRL + N to! Step and change the Blending Mode to Overlay shapes joined together, usually overlapping! Switch between color groups and adjust the ‘ Crop image ’ option will only Crop an image appears the... Different anchor points 6 inside text in Adobe Illustrator CC Masking ‘ Mode ’ to switch between color and! '' whenever I try using pathfinder to cut holes in shapes using the shape that can. That images can be easily accomplished using tools or commands be found in the left hand tool... Points 6 the Live Paint Bucket tool ( k ) and the Eyedropper tool (.! Drag your shape on top of the Vectors resizing ability shape and the photo and press CMD ( CTRL. Background image and select the silhouette and notice the number of unwanted anchor points on the image can! Areas within the shape how to make an image a compound shape in illustrator tool, you have the opportunity to create compound path I... Learn the basics of clipping masks – objects that mask other artwork so only within! I need to show a part of underlying Object through a hole in another.. Of multiple shapes joined together, usually with overlapping regions pathfinder to cut hole in the bigger.! Objects become one after selecting `` Exclude. will want to fill within the shape of another Object to an...