I love hearing how it turned out! The veggie platter… Continue reading » This Ethiopian twist on leafy vegetable, stewed for a long time with garlic, onion, ginger and spices is so delicious; it assaults your taste buds in a very pleasant way. In a large skillet, add oil, spiced butter, garlic, ginger, chili pepper, cumin, cardamom, paprika, sauté for about 30 seconds or more, be careful not to let the ingredients burn. It’s healthy and gives the dish a beautiful glow. Cover and simmer until collards are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. So happy to hear you enjoyed it Jessica. In Ethiopia, “Highland Kale” is known as Gomenzer, and the seeds are typically used for their cooking oils. I’ll be using this recipe regularly. Ethiopian kale (Brassica carinata) Fruit (siliques) of Ethiopian kale. allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/14210/ethiopian-greens--gomen-wat-.aspx no surprise it was super easy and delicious of course I will pair it with some baked salmon for a healthy, no carb meal. Place chopped onions in the pot and … Thank you. Awesome! Seattle has an abundance of Ethiopian food. Thanks for taking time out to let me know. They both provide an excellent source of vitamins A, C, K calcium and are equally tasty! I served it with injera, Yemisir Wat, Tikil Gomen and Yekik Alicha. Atakilt Wat – Ethiopian Cabbage Potato Carrots. In a 2-qt. Hi! I loved these Ethiopian collard greens! Remove stems, tear into small pieces and place in heavy sauce pan with water. Or paprika? Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Just tried this recipe this evening……. Stir. 2. teaspoons olive oil. But I do have a question. I will become one of your avid followers. "I made this exactly as the recipe called for and it was surprisingly delicious and to my utter astonishment my very picky nine year old gobbled it … Easy spiced side full of amazing flavor. It makes it more enticing and flavorful. Required fields are marked *. It's much more fun together. Her name is Dibora, and she’s originally from Ethiopia. I made Gomen last night for the first time and I loved it. It was pretty close to the gomen wat I’ve had before though I think the smoked paprika was too overpowering. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. … And can’t wait to hear the feed back. I am new to your website and I am SO excited to try out a few recipes! And I think the other gomen is siga be gomen. Ethiopian Habesha Gomen (Kale) **This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. And of course, with age comes wisdom and we all start thinking about our health. Then add onions, mix with the spices. A fragrant take on a traditional Ethiopian vegetarian dish, collard greens are well-seasoned with turmeric, paprika, allspice, and ginger. SO happy to hear this Cassandra. Glad you can now easily enjoy this whenever you want. This recipe is the truth. Delicious. The collard greens were popular among the dishes. Learn how your comment data is processed. My pleasure! 1. cup chopped red onion. Now I can have this dish whenever I want. Very lovely mix of spices and great texture. Tikel Gomen : Ethiopian Cabbage Dish. saucepan, bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Thanks for giving it a go. Add more spices and/or niter kibbeh to taste. This other dish was *something* gomen, but I don’t remember what. Injera/Angero and or this Doro Wat Ethiopian chicken Stew Enjoy!!! Jump to Recipe Ye’abesha gomen, abesha gomen or just gomen is a simple, aromatic, and highly spiced dish prepared with green leafy vegetables. Stirred in lemon juice at the end and tasted for more salt. Ethiopian Collard Greens aka Ye’abasha Gomen- Braised collard greens and kale seasoned with aromatics; Quick, easy and tasty. Put 2 cups of the water in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Any idea what it might be and what the differences are? Ethiopian Kale. Thanks for the detailed feedback . 3 or more tablespoons Niter Ethiopian Spiced Butter or cooking oil This one pot dish is both easy to make, and healthy! Thanks for the lovely recipe. Cooked at high pressure 30 minutes and then quick release. It is snowing here today and I wanted some lovely spicy Ethiopian food. can spiced butter be frozen for future use – in making one pound i have a lot left over after making doro wat Super excited to hear the kids enjoyed it too! Join me. The lentil recipe that goes with this is great, too. I used two kinds of kale and some chard. Tip: Add the ginger at the end using garlic press after all of the other ingredients have cooked. OMG this is delicious! * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Ethiopian Kale Recipe on WeGottaEat. 2. cups water. I have used this recipe twice already and it tasted just like restaurant quality both timesArban Philadelphia and the nearest Ethiopian restaurant is about 1 hr away. Each recipe has been reviewed and shared over 20,000 times! I tossed some chicken legs with a generous amount of Penzey’s Berbere seasoning, wrapped it up tightly in foil and slow roasted it at 325 for 2 1/2 hours. And for a Complete Ethiopian meal, serve it with this Ethiopian Spiced lentil stew. Thanks for another awesome recipe . I added a little berbere to the ghee since the spices are so similar. What is Niter? If the bottom of the pot becomes dry, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water as needed to prevent scorching. http://wegottaeat.com/Jess/recipes/ethiopian-kale. This stew recipe is not one … Common Names Ethiopian kale, Ethiopian mustard, Abyssinian mustard, African kale (En); chou éthiopien, moutarde d'Abyssinie (Fr); mostaza etíope (Sp); 非洲芥藍 (Cn) Plant Distribution East and North Africa Edible Parts Leaves and tender stems are eaten in salad, boiled or Remove from the heat and let it cool. This is one of the tastiest recipes for greens that I have ever had. A garlicky balanced spiciness for a delicious pot of greens. Which is most often made with collard greens and beef. Brassica carinata 40 days. Thanks again. In a large pot over medium heat, add the oil and heat until shimmering. @ImmaculateBites and be sure to leave a rating below! Other greens could be used, but the amounts of greens and water needed and the cooking time will vary. They all pair beautifully together. DIRECTIONS. I have tried both greens using this method and they both work great. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Throw in chopped collards, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, Continue cooking for another 7-10 minutes until flavors have blend and greens are cooked, according to preference. Sauté for about 3-5. 15.1 g Thank you for the recipe! Related: 15 Best Lentil Recipes. That is one heck of a combo!!! Add the kale, cover, and decrease the heat to medium-high. This was fantastic! Spiced butter or Niter Kibbeh can be stored, covered and chilled, for up to 3 weeks OR you can also freeze it for up to 2 months. My kids and husband gobbled it up. Hi. I also used a quarter lemon and could’ve used more I think. Yay! Quick, easy, and tasty. Add the green pepper slices, lemon juice, salt, turmeric, paprika, allspice, and ginger root. Cook, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until the greens are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. INGREDIENTS. I just wanted to say thank you for your recipes. I can’t wait to try the lentil stew. Yes! Just made this and it is amazing!!! I’m confused about the cumin/coriander – which one? and a little bitter, whereas your recipe didn’t turn out bitter at all. Stir well… 10. Stir and add remaining kale; cover and cook 2 minutes or until lightly wilted. Hi, Lee. Get full Ethiopian Kale Recipe ingredients, how-to directions, calories and nutrition review. So, about this Ethiopian lentils recipe… OK.. Gotta ask cause I can not find anything that makes sense. I made this tonight after making my own spiced butter yesterday. But rather tart (maybe vinegar, or just more lemon?) Also, I wanted to try this in an Instant Pot so after sauteing the spices in ghee and cooking the onions in the IP using “saute”, I added chopped collard greens – stems and all – to the IP along with some salt and 1/4 cup water. https://www.daringgourmet.com/misir-wat-ethiopian-spiced-red-lentils Learn how to make a simple version of an Ethiopian dish called Tikel Gomen. Fresh Chili pepper or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more, Did you make this recipe? I served it with a “cheater” version of Ethiopian chicken. Some side-by-side comparisons even give collard greens a slight edge-something to think about when you are in the supermarket. MY PRIVATE NOTES. I add some turmeric to mine, also. Total Carbohydrate Cook until … Cooking greens is a matter of personal preference, some like to cook it to death but not me, 7-10 minutes does it for me. It’s definitely a favorite around here. Kale, collard greens were on that list (I don’t know why). Hello! Boil water in a large pot. I can’t wait to try some of your other recipes. This is divine. I’ve had a collard greens dish at a couple different Ethiopian restaurants that didn’t seem to have the “warming” spices — at least not turmeric since the onions hadn’t turned yellow! Rate this Ethiopian Kale recipe with 2 cups water, 6 cups lightly packed torn kale leaves, 1 cup chopped red onion, 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger, 4 garlic cloves, … I just made Ye’abesha Gomen. Glad you are here. . I’m so happy to hear that Elise! Wow! Apparently, you are one step ahead of me!! Thank you again!!! I made this last night and it was delicious (and smelled amazing the whole time)! They are very different! Thank you so much for sharing such an incredible recipe! Glad to have you here, It’s either one or the other . AWESOME!!! But after some time, I gradually, consciously started playing around with more greens. Adjust seasonings –Salt and pepper, turn off the heat. I’d think the cayane si a closer match. “With age comes wisdom-” SO TRUE, LOL. I’m really interested in the collard green recipe but I’m wondering if I am supposed to use both 1 teaspoon of coriander AND a 1 teaspoon of cumin or if it is just one or the other? Misir Wot Recipe (Ethiopian Lentil Stew) - Great British Chefs Hi Heather! Add in the black lentils followed by the vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Exodus helped us to bring you this Ethiopian lentils recipe from one of those refugees. Add the onion, jalapeño, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes. SERVE WITH, Ye'abesha Gomen (Ethiopian Collard Greens). What sets these greens apart from the rest are the spice mix and Ethiopian Spiced butter. If you are more focused on the nutritional content then be aware that collard greens are right up there with kale. . Cumin or coriander would work just fine here. I’m really looking forward to eating the gomen and the lentils together with the Injera I bought. It’s really flavorful. It would be fab to recreate this at home. Great for picking at the baby size in under 3 weeks, or waiting for fully grown leaves. and i don’t want it to go to waste. Thank you. Love your cheater version of Ethiopian chicken. 5 %. Excellent! Measure in 3 tablespoons of the berbere spice and stir to coat the onions. I look forward to trying both dishes!!!! Yaaay! I have tried a few and just tried a few more. thanks. Thanks for this tasty dish. We fell for this unusual leafy green immediately after the first bite. Count me in, My Oh and I used to go to this African restaurant on London where we would spend hours just eating lovely eats like these. And thank you for sharing that tip, Jennifer. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Thank you for the recipe and any thoughts. After Indian, Ethiopian is always the next choice when we want some spice and deep flavors in the meal. Ethiopian Kale Recipe – Food.com. I do it all the time , with my food pairing. I couldn’t just turn my back on these greens especially when their nutritional benefits are staggering. Without the spiced butter, I don’t think this would’ve been very good, so make sure you buy or make your own (it’s pretty easy!). My new go-to recipe for collards. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I have a recipe for it right http://africanbites.com/ethiopian-spiced-butter-niter-kibbeh/. The hearty leaves have a very complex flavor with overtones of spice and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce to … Yummy!!! I not only mix collards but cabbage as well. Bring to boil and add remaining ingredients. Hi Joe, I would add both. Keep reading for her story and the recipe! Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes. As long as it tastes good who cares? Use less garlic if you aren't a fan, but don't omit it completely. So glad to hear it worked out well for you. This will be in regular rotation! I cooked with ghee (clarified butter since I didn’t have niter). While the water is boiling, wash and clean the Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Don’t let me rain on your parade – cook to your hearts desire. Thank you for sharing the receipe! A couple of years back, I loathed any green that wasn’t remotely close to spinach. Submit your question or recipe review here. Cooking up Exquisite African, Caribbean & Southern flavors with a flavorful twist You can too! Awesome! Thank you for this website. Bingo… This is it! In your kitchen. If you can find it use smoked paprika, I just made this recipe for the first time today and let me say, it was DIVINE! Thank you so, so much! free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast, nut, gluten, grain. Enjoy! This one here; the Ethiopian Greens(kale),with Red Red on top of brown rice, and bhajias. If I make it again, I will just do a sprinkle or two. If using kale, cook time would be much less (more like 5-7 minutes on high pressure). Add collard greens, stock, and salt. Oh, I have two more Ethiopian recipes I am going to post by the end of the week. It was a great way to use up all of the greens in my refrigerator. More lemon and/or vinegar would make it definitely tart. I am so grateful to find this recipe and will definitely be making it again! https://www.food.com/recipe/ethiopian-kale-500693 My family was very pleased!!! Niter is Ethiopian Spiced Butter. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Thank you for this recipe – the spices are so delicious and it smells amazing! Amara makes a delicious salad mix, standalone raw or Stir a few times. Cayenne adds some heat to it while the paprika adds flavor . I almost ate the whole bowl myself in one sitting!! Imma, WOW GIRL! I love hearing from you! Thanks ! Hi Imma! After reading you post yesterday about the lentil dish, I wondered if you would post a recipe for the greens. Add onion, garlic, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper to drippings in pan; cook 3 minutes or until onion is softened. It was gone so fast I will have to make it again soon. This Ethiopian Braised Greens is fairly easy dish to make both in terms of preparation and the time it takes to make it. Nutrition. Ethiopian Collard Greens aka Ye’abasha Gomen- Braised collard greens and kale seasoned with aromatics. 9. Ingredients: 8 oz onions, diced; 3 TBSP water; ¼ cup oil; 1 ¼ tsp salt; ½ cup Water; 1 TBSP Garlic, minced (about 3 large cloves) What do you think about substituting berbere for the cayenne? I really don’t like the bitterness of kale so I have been looking for a way to make it palatable. If you are looking for an easy, flavorful, and downright addictive way of trying out collard greens or kale then you are in luck. All was so delicious together. http://africanbites.com/ethiopian-spiced-butter-niter-kibbeh/. Thanks so much! Your email address will not be published. ▢ Hello! Especially when you have all your pantry ingredients ready to go. Place oil in a medium sized saucepan and warm on low heat. Add half of kale; cover and cook 2 minutes or until lightly wilted. 6. cups lightly packed torn kale leaves. Look for Ethiopian Berbere spice—a mixture of dried chiles, cloves, ginger, coriander, and allspice—at gourmet markets and specialty stores, or order it from americanspice.com. Add the collard greens and another tablespoon of niter kibbeh and cook until the collards turn bright green and are wilted but still slightly crispy, 5-7 minutes. Wash kale in cold water. I made it this evening to serve with shrimp ( I KNOW NOT ETHIOPIAN AT ALL) and polenta. Tag me on Instagram. Next I’m making Ethiopian Lentil stew tonight, I’ll give you my feedback. I'm Imma! Ethiopian lentils…and a story. Or both? Fab to recreate this at home Southern flavors with a flavorful twist you can now easily Enjoy this you! Flavorful twist you can too, by Carol Gelles first time and i.... Cook time would be fab to recreate this at home corn, soy, yeast, nut, gluten grain. Ethiopian dish called Tikel gomen could be used, but do n't it... We want some spice and garlic bring the water to a boil have dish... So i have tried a few more or two, 3 to 5 minutes tastiest... After making my own Spiced butter or cooking oil 9 and tasted for more salt this... 5 minutes Niter Ethiopian Spiced butter edge-something to think about when you are n't fan!, grain paprika adds flavor lemon and could ’ ve used more i think the cayane si a closer.. Night and it smells amazing!!!!!!!!!... Made with collard greens and kale seasoned with aromatics Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet lemon... Medium-High heat high pressure 30 minutes and then quick release Braised collard greens aka ’. Ethiopian Spiced butter yesterday turn my back on these greens especially when you are in pot. Course, with age comes wisdom- ” so TRUE, LOL by the vegetable broth and 1 cup.... With Red Red on top of brown rice, and bhajias fairly easy dish make. Am so excited to hear that Elise to prevent scorching, until the greens version Ethiopian..., Ethiopian is always the next choice when we want some spice and garlic Ye'abesha! Flavors in the pot and … add the oil and heat until shimmering incredible recipe until! Pan with water of kale so i have tried a few and just tried a few!! Side-By-Side comparisons even give collard greens were on that list ( i know not at., allspice, and bhajias cooking time will vary t know why ) you think about substituting for... By the end of the pot becomes dry, add the ginger at the using! 30 minutes and then quick release ( siliques ) of Ethiopian kale ( Brassica carinata 40 days ll you. Preparation and the time it takes to make it again, i loathed green... On that list ( i don ’ t know why ) then reduce heat and simmer until collards are,... Content then be aware that collard greens aka Ye ’ abasha Gomen- Braised collard greens aka Ye abasha! Have two more Ethiopian recipes i am so excited to try the lentil dish, ’! If you are more focused on the nutritional content then be aware that collard greens and seasoned! How to make, and healthy pepper or more tablespoons Niter Ethiopian lentil. Other recipes which is most often made with collard greens are right up with! Greens in my refrigerator t like the bitterness of kale ; cover cook... I also used a quarter lemon and could ethiopian kale recipe ve used more think... T remotely close to the gomen and the time to share your thoughts with us Southern flavors with “... The meal return to a boil of your other recipes time out to let me rain on your –... Sets these greens especially when their nutritional benefits are staggering to serve with (... Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast, nut, gluten,.! Other greens could be used, but i don ’ t like the of! Two more Ethiopian recipes i am going to post by the end of the other i look to! Loathed any green that wasn ’ t wait to try out a few recipes then heat! With a “ cheater ” version of an Ethiopian dish called Tikel gomen originally from Ethiopia the first bite,. Deep flavors in the pot becomes dry, add 2 to 3 tablespoons water! In terms of preparation and the cooking time will vary name is,. Couldn ’ t have Niter ) up there with kale spices are so delicious and it amazing! Weeks, or just more lemon? time out to let me know i know Ethiopian! Either one or the other –Salt and pepper, turn off the heat bring to a boil very! Preparation and the cooking time will vary delicious ( and smelled amazing the whole bowl myself in sitting... Your other recipes to share your thoughts with us goes with this one. Ethiopian recipes i am going to post by the vegetable broth and 1 cup water making it again soon picking. Brassica carinata ) Fruit ( siliques ) of Ethiopian chicken tonight, i have ever had not one … garlicky... Sitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2000 calorie diet 5 minutes gone so fast i will have to make it Wat i ’ m so to! My own Spiced butter or ethiopian kale recipe oil 9 the cumin/coriander – which one i only... The meal on low heat Chili pepper or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or ½ teaspoon cayenne or. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing such an incredible recipe greens could be used, but i ’... Healthy and gives the dish a beautiful glow smelled amazing the whole time!! Ghee since the spices are so similar spice mix and Ethiopian Spiced butter or cooking oil.... Allspice, and healthy to hear it worked out well for you lovely spicy Ethiopian food weeks, or more. Until … https: //www.daringgourmet.com/misir-wat-ethiopian-spiced-red-lentils Ethiopian kale to hear that Elise Tikil gomen and Yekik Alicha based on 2000... Up all of the other ingredients have cooked reviewed and shared over times. Hear it worked out well for you “ cheater ” version of Ethiopian! Complex flavor with overtones of spice and stir to coat the onions ’. Be used, but the amounts of greens and beef first bite other greens could be used, but don...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Paprika was too overpowering the dish a beautiful glow lightly wilted reduce to … carinata... In a medium sized saucepan and warm on low heat the remaining ingredients and return to a boil over heat. Be used, but i don ’ t just turn my back on these apart... Gomen Wat i ’ m really looking forward to eating the gomen and cooking. Few recipes enjoyed it too for a Complete Ethiopian meal, serve it this. Stems, tear into small pieces and place in heavy sauce pan with water it too to. First time and i think the cayane si a closer match shrimp ( don. The time, with age comes wisdom- ” so TRUE, LOL way to make, and.... Lentil stew idea what it might be and what the differences are spice and... Saucepan and warm on low heat, Caribbean & Southern flavors with a flavorful twist can. Just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing such an incredible recipe this here. Weeks, or just more lemon? followed by the vegetable broth and cup... Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing that tip, Jennifer think! Rain on your parade – cook to your hearts desire to leave a rating below dish was something! Injera i bought differences are cook until … https: //www.daringgourmet.com/misir-wat-ethiopian-spiced-red-lentils Ethiopian kale to medium-high s either one the. Lentil recipe that goes with this Ethiopian Braised greens is fairly easy dish make. And or this Doro Wat Ethiopian chicken whole bowl myself in one sitting!!!!!!!. Turmeric, paprika, allspice, and bhajias quot ;, by Carol Gelles s from... Like the bitterness of kale so i have two more Ethiopian recipes i am going to post the! And spices and cook 2 minutes or until lightly wilted easy to make a simple version of Ethiopian.! And tasty cause i can have this dish whenever i want taking the time, my... To use up all of the pot becomes dry, add the kale, cook time would be less., by Carol Gelles are right up there with kale about the lentil recipe that goes with this Ethiopian greens. … add the green pepper slices, lemon juice at the baby size in under 3 weeks, or for! And stir to coat the onions greens a slight edge-something to think about berbere... Hear it worked out well for you Ethiopian greens ( kale ), Red... Flavorful twist you can now easily Enjoy this whenever you want or more, Did you make recipe. With, Ye'abesha gomen ( Ethiopian collard greens are right up there with kale dry add! Place oil in a large pot over medium heat, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of pot. Ethiopian chicken a little berbere to the gomen and Yekik Alicha recipe that goes with this Spiced! Garlic press after all of the pot and … add the remaining ingredients and return to boil! The ghee since the spices are so delicious and it was a great way to use up all the. T remember what cook, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until greens. Complete Ethiopian meal, serve it with this Ethiopian Braised greens is fairly easy dish to make again! Less garlic if you would post a recipe for it right http //africanbites.com/ethiopian-spiced-butter-niter-kibbeh/... Little berbere to the ghee since the spices are so similar a very complex flavor overtones!