More traits and characteristics of Golden Retrievers. Some of the saliva in a drooling dog may get to its fur, which may cause it to smell even more. Interest. Golden Retrievers are susceptible to ear infections due to the overgrowth of yeast. It doesn’t mean that the Lab sheds less than Golden. Bad diet may cause flatulence and bad breath, both of which can cause your Golden to smell. Cleaning your Golden gives your dog’s coat a fresh smell. In terms of lifespan both breeds typically live past 10 years, with the Labrador more likely to pass 12 years of age than the Golden. To my nose (which is pretty particular as noses go) given a Golden and a Lab, both freshly bathed and dried w the same products the Lab is still going to offend me. Oh, but you just got a golden pup and you have heard all sorts of stories, and they are not necessarily pleasant stories! Scratching may cause inflammation, which may worsen the infection. My current lab mix is 75lb female. The Labrador has the greater range of colours, from the most common cream, to black and chocolate. The causes of the smell may include: It is essential to determine the cause of the smell before looking for a solution. Take your dog to the vet if you suspect a yeast infection. Goldens DO shed... a lot. The Labrador’s coat is also water repellant has two layers. The main difference between them is the length of their coats, and this might be enough of a deciding factor for some prospective owners. Golden Retrievers and Labradors have the reputation of being loving and gentle under any situation. If you suspect your dog has an ear infection, check out our article on Golden Retriever Ear Infections for more information. Your golden retriever might even know you’re pregnant before you do! Making yourself available to be around Labradors before taking them in as pets is even more … Teeth and gum diseases may also cause bad breath in Golden Retrievers. But do they smell? Keep smelly objects and substances away from your dog’s play area. In addition, avoid letting it inside your house after washing it. It's like their hair went under the baseboards, slipped back out and presented itself to me on a daily basis. A golden retriever is a Calm, energetic to it would be ideal if you well disposed of, understanding. A bad smell usually accompanies yeast infection. ... Labrador and Golden Retriever Lovers. Just like any other dog breed, Golden Retrievers can smell bad. I dislike the smell of a Lab too. A … We try to answer this question below. Turned out they had a thyroid condition so might have this checked. That’s because the ear flaps create a warm, moist environment where germs can thrive. Nothing that a routine bath schedule will not cure. While the Labrador and the Golden do share a lot of similarities, there are a few key differences between them. I occasionally have them all. link to Best Shampoo for Golden Retrievers (2020), How to Improve the Smell of Your Golden Retriever, The Best Dog Brushes for Golden Retrievers. However, there might be more than the smell. It just takes a little time, effort, and love! They typically weigh between 55-75 pounds, and grow to around 20-24 inches tall. Do Labradors smell? They Shed. Although it is a subjective statement, note that both dogs shed heavily. The Golden comes in cream and obviously golden. If you notice your Golden Retriever having a cheese-like smell, consider checking its ears. Consider cleaning your dog’s teeth regularly. Metabolic reactions, including skin oils, can cause Golden Retrievers to smell. Labrador has a straight wide tail, collapsed ears, and webbed feet. Your vet might ask you a few questions to help with the diagnosis, including: Just remember to bring as much information as you can to the appointment. They can be very mouthy/nippy. The differences between the purpose of the Golden Retriever vs … ... Do some dog breeds “smell” better than others? Wash your dog’s bedding with hot water and vinegar or baking soda to eliminate odors. Various factors cause Golden Retrievers to smell. This would be more likely if it starts sniffing things that it might be able to eat. Or a smooth collie? Be sure to dry your dog’s ears and skin when they get wet. ), dig in the dirt if you aren't watching, and can smell. Just like any other dog on the planet. Come join the discussion about breeds, training, puppies, food reviews, service animals, and more. Golden Retrievers are very prone to cancer. Moist areas have the most concentration of bacteria and usually produce the most odor. However, avoid using a fabric softener when doing your dog’s laundry to prevent allergic reactions. Their personality is just so perfect for our family and lifestyle. You can usually recognize an ear infection by seeing redness, debris and an odor in the ear. Goldens do have a smell. Skin infections can also cause your dog to smell. Bacterial and yeast infections may cause itching, which prompts the dog to scratch the itchy part. She had a proper bath in September after a skunk incindent (4–5 months ago) but she gets brushed daily. Corey is the Founder of Golden Retriever Society and loves working with the Veterinarian Advisors and other writers on the staff. - Quora. If you are looking for a more energetic dog, then a Lab might be your choice. They do swim, wallow in mud, splash in puddles, roll in the grass (whether it is wet or not! Labrador Retriever. I understand the smell... my labs could get a bath and 30 min. There is the difference among Labradors, some Labs have more smell and some have less. Here it comes. Signs of skin infection include regularly scratching, thinning of hair, and flaking of skin. Final Thoughts On Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever. I'm not sure they shed more, but the hair sticks in everything. Goldens do have a smell. I do not notice a difference in the smell of a Golden vs. a Lab. This is because their senses, especially their sense of smell, are so much more fine-tuned than ours. I get compliments on mine quite often. When comparing the labrador retriever vs golden retriever, despite a difference in appearance, these dogs are incredibly similar on paper. JavaScript is disabled. But do you remember what you used to do when it got you thinking? I also dislike their hair - Goldens shed more but Lab hair avoids removal! Although normal dog breath is a bit smelly, excessively smelly dog breath may be a sign of poor health. However, they do not rank the same in intelligence. Brushing loose hair helps to stimulate the skin to secrete oils, which prevents bacterial infection and yeast growth. Any more and she itches more and any less she has worse skin as well. Visit a vet if you suspect a medical cause of the bad smell. Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever coat. Remember those statistics – dogs have 60 times as many smell receptors as humans and 40 times more brainpower devoted to the sense of smell. Regular cleaning of your dog also removes loose fur on its coat, which may increase bad odor. I wouldn't describe their coat as oily either. Dogs that have been in water also smell bad. Golden Retrievers are beautiful dogs, and they can smell wonderful as well. How to Make Your Lab Smell Better. If your Golden has been playing in rain or pool water, its fur may produce a distinct, unpleasant smell. What about a Standard poodle? Once this was under control the order wasn't an issue for me. Golden Retrievers are beautiful dogs, and they can smell wonderful as well. Take some time to groom your dog regularly through bathing, drying, and brushing. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If my dogs have missed a bath for about 2-3 weeks they start getting the doggy smell, usually they smell rather nice!! Copyright © 2021 Golden Retriever Society. Consult a vet if you cannot determine the exact cause of the bad smell. Still highly considering one. Dogs squeeze the anal sacs during pooping, which causes the sacs to release a smelly secretion. If your dog starts smelling bad after a diet change, the diet could be the likely cause of the bad smell. It's not the same as lab smell. So why do golden retrievers smell? I kept a pal's two Labs about 4 years ago and I found that hair 6 months later even though I vacuum daily and mop at least every other day. I find I can go about 6-8 weeks with my spayed female before she starts smelling really doggy, and about 4 weeks with my intact male. Well, it is true that Golden Retrievers do smell for the most part with a large part due to their most attractive feature – their beautiful, long-flowing coat. I may still get a Golden if I can’t find another breed that fits the personality I want. They have some risk of genetic health issues like hip dysplasia. The Golden Retriever has longer hair than the Labrador. My son has 2 labs and I have 2 Golden's. Mine usually smell like my lotions (I have dry skin and typically lather up my hands and arms and rub the remainder on the nearest dog head). Have you ever been asked this question in childhood that went something like ‘Do you love your mom most or dad?’ Yeah, I know how hard it was to answer that! They Were Bred For Different Jobs. She is a indoor dog. Wash and groom your dog regularly. Quite often one ear will look much worse than the other. We answer that question, and give you ways to keep your Golden smelling clean and fresh. Go straight to the source and find the area of your dog … If yours will be spending a lot of its time wet and muddy, then all bets are off! Sadly, around 62% of these dogs die from cancer. Some may have bad breath caused by diabetes or kidney failure. A forum community dedicated to Golden Retriever owners and enthusiasts. The Labradors are easier to maintain. Ear infections can be caused by yeast, bacteria or a combination of the two. Since they were black I could tell whose hair was whose (and I have plenty of yellow hair here from my own dogs but it's a different consistency. She has a kind of sweet smell, not “doggy” at all, more like fresh grass scent. Finally, you can avoid some negative traits by training your Golden Retriever to respect you and by following the 11-step care program in my book, 11 Things You Must Do Right To Keep Your Dog Healthy and Happy. Although they are still fairly similar in terms of intelligence, Golden Retrievers are ranked fourth in Dr. Stanley Coren’s list of smartest dogs while Labradors are ranked seventh. Watch for this in your Golden and make sure you keep their ears dry and clean. It helps to get an accurate diagnosis. I have heard more than one Golden Retriever owner brag about how their dog lets children pull their tails and ears without flinching. later it smelled like a locker room. That’s right, compare! Golden Retrievers can also secrete the smelly secretion onto their fur when scared or excited, which may cause them to smell. Golden Retrievers are beautiful and friendly dogs. I am one who does not want a doggy smell when I walk in my house and it has not been a problem with my .Goldens, Thanks all! With so many options for dog shampoos available, it can be hard to decide what type of shampoo to purchase for your Golden Retriever. I always encourage obedience class for any breed. The breed originated in Scotland in the mid 19th century. Several health problems may cause Golden Retrievers to smell. See more of Golden Retriever Lovers on Facebook. Many owners blame themselves most of the time for having smelly Golden Retrievers. Regular grooming prevents infection-causing bacteria from accumulating on the coat of your dog. Yeast is one of the most common health complications in Golden Retrievers. The anal sacs are some form of marking glands located in the anal area. They write many of our articles, and advise on the rest, to ensure we bring you the highest quality content. Once you have determined the cause, you can use various techniques to prevent and eliminate the odor. As far as size I was just stating I don’t want a dog smaller than 30lbs. if you pet a dog and feel residue on your hands, the dog is probably very dirty!!! Symptoms of canine atopic dermatitis include: Causes of canine atopic dermatitis include: Your dog may become smelly if it rolls on smelly substances. It’s normal. Why Golden Retrievers (Seem To) Shed More Than Labradors. If you keep the dogs inside, don't neuter/spay, bathe frequently, blow dry, etc.... dogs will smell just fine. Temperament-wise, Golden Retrievers are more sensitive than the Labrador Retriever. I’m not sure what she is mixed with but she looks like a taller black lab. I've owned 6 Goldens in my lifetime. Here are our picks of the canine best smellers. Consult a vet to determine the best diet for your Golden Retriever. Of course, a lot depends on the life they lead. Like the name suggests, golden retrievers were bred to retrieve small game. Due to longer hairs, Golden Retrievers require more grooming than Labradors. Common signs of yeast infection include smelly paws and ears. When I first adopted her she had constant ear infections but she has gone two years without one now! link to When Do Golden Retrievers Go Into Heat? Crazy! Mine sometimes get an outdoorsy smell but a brushing gets rid of it. Gum and teeth diseases may also cause increased drooling. Also, one time I actually got a Lab hair in the bottom of my foot no joke like a splinter. We hope you enjoy your visit and find us useful. English (US) Español; She seems to be at a good balance as far as frequency of baths. Cancer is one of the most prevalent diseases among Golden Retrievers. Golden Retrievers. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The answer to this question is “YES”, Labrador have a typical dog smell. Fortunately, you can use some tips to improve the smell of your dog. Any suggestions? It’s no surprise that this breed sheds. This is a great option, especially if your dog has had the smell for a long time. Read through some threads on the puppy section here. or. Do goldadors (golden labrador mix) have the labrador smell? My golden doesn't really smell. Golden puppies with young children can take a huge amount of management. They will shed twice a year heavily or slowly every day throughout the year. They need bathing and brushing to avoid a lot of shedding. The short answer to that question is yes, of course, golden retrievers smell. Your vet should also help you treat gum and teeth infections, if any are found. Consider taking steps to ensure your dog does not roll on smelly objects, including grass and dirt. Fortunately the smell can be greatly improved if you can determine the causes. The most likely reason is that it has a much stronger sense of smell than we do and that it does it to naturally get information about the things it is smelling. Interest. Golden Retriever Health, Anatomy & Breed Standard, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Our team of Veterinarians assist us in bringing you trusted and valuable information. I get compliments on mine quite often. It just takes a little time, effort, and love! Their long hairs also show up more when they do shed than the black or chocolate Lab , due to their light color. Golden Retrievers can often be prone to ear infections. Mine doesn’t. Labradors shed a lot … If your dog has been playing on dirty water, consider washing it before the water sticks to its coat. Be sure to check out our article for The Best Dog Brushes for Golden Retrievers. So Golden Retriever vs Labrador shedding is similar, but Goldens usually require more day to day grooming. Remember, Golden Retrievers may be a bit smelly after cleaning, but the smell should go away once the coat dries. Mine are primarily house dogs. Treating the infection may eliminate bad odors. This is one of the most common health complications among Golden Retrievers. Below we list some of the most common ways you can get them back to smelling clean and fresh. Your dog’s beddings may harbor fleas, bacteria, and parasites. Buy a dog toothbrush and use it to brush your dog’s teeth at regularly. What home is the Labrador and Golden Retriever suited for? The only one I remember being a bit smelly was the one I had as a kid, who only got a bath about once a year! The Golden’s coat is water repellant with a thick, wavy outer coat and a soft, insulating under-coat. They get along well with adults, kids, and other pets, including cats. Bummer! This probably means that the Lab wins out on this issue of the Golden vs Lab debate. A poor diet may also cause your dog to smell. Common infections that may cause your Golden to smell include yeast and skin infections. So you have more variation in the Lab vs Golden Retriever. In addition, check your dog’s ears regularly for signs of infections. Labrador Retriever vs Golden Retriever Conclusion. She gets a bath every two weeks. While they are similar in size within an inch or two, the Golden Retriever has longer fur and a looser stance than the sturdy Lab. This also means that the amount of hair will take up more space when you pile it up. We are compensated for referring traffic and business to Amazon and other companies linked to on this site. Well, you may get an unpleasant odor that lingers around your dog. Well, Golden Retrievers require a bit more grooming than Labradors. Targeting the source of the problem first. I do think that certain dogs have more odor than others, just like people. So, like any creature, Golden Retrievers can smell bad. Using our tips above is the first step to keeping your dog clean and smelling great! Apart from metabolic secretions, there are many other causes of bad odor in Golden Retrievers. Despite grooming, some bad smell still persists. This will prevent your dog from playing or rolling on the smelly objects. Both golden retrievers and Labradors make excellent family pets, and will both be friendly and loving pets. And the Golden’s feathered tail is as recognizable as its perpetual smile. ... Their long hairs also show up more when they do shed than the black or chocolate Lab, due to their light color. These infections tend to occur in moist areas of the dog’s body. In fact, one research study suggests that nearly 40% of Golden Retriever deaths are caused by different cancerous tumors. Despite looking similar these guys have very different histories and come from opposite sides of the world. She does have allergies which the vet and I are constantly working on. Even a seemingly healthy golden retriever that is active, eats well and has no health problems can smell, and this can be very puzzling to the dog owner. Ask your vet for a dental check up and cleaning to insure that your dog’s mouth remains healthy. I understand Goldens typically get larger than 65lbs. Golden Retriever Overview. They are all on the same diet, same exercise, same care. Goldens have medium-length hair, and since the canines are on the bigger side, they have a lot of dense hair to care for. A golden puppy would be hard to manage with small children. Golden Retrievers are vulnerable to pyoderma, a form of skin infection. Consult your vet for your dog’s diet recommendations. So, that is exactly what we’re going to be doing here to help you make a sensible and satisfying decision that you won’t regret later. Our website is designed to help Golden Retriever owners raise their dogs to be healthy and happy. Fortunately the smell can be greatly improved if you can determine the causes. I always encourage obedience class for any breed. So, like any creature, Golden Retrievers can smell bad. Be sure to clean all your dog’s beddings regularly. An important event in a female Golden Retriever’s life is their heat cycle. Often, bad odor can lead to disease, not to mention, it is a nuisance to the dog owner. The most obvious difference is in appearance. Golden retrievers have longer hairs than the Labradors in general. Golden Retrievers with yeast infection usually scratch their ears and paws regularly. The only time I tell people about the hours and hours of training I put is when they ask how I got them to behave so well. Obviously, a Golden Retriever in any other color would be silly, so all of them have more or less the same color. Wet dog coats may also cause infections. This condition is more common in dogs with double coats. It depends on the person, and the dog! While not all golden retrievers are as talented as Air Bud, they are known for their intelligence. She is NOT overweight. Knowing when your Golden Retriever goes into heat can help an owner be prepared for what will happen during the cycle.... Best Shampoo for Golden Retrievers (2020). An essential part of grooming is dental care. Labradors are more prone to ear infections and parasites than dogs with upright ears. French Bulldog Lovers. I’d probably get a female so it would be on the ‘smaller’ size. The only time I tell people about the hours and hours of training I put is when they ask how I got them to behave so well. Flatulence can also cause bad smell in dogs. A golden puppy would be hard to manage with small children. Using our tips above is the first step to keeping your dog clean and smelling great! It's not the same as lab smell. Many pet owners who had both dogs, admitted that Lab sheds more than the Golden. If you would like to learn more about us, and our team, click the button below! Persistent flatulence may be caused by infection of the intestines or other areas of the gut. I think that collars can be a source of smell if they aren't washed frequently, also. Labradors tend to be an oily breed, but they should not have a distinct odor. Some owners bath their dogs regularly with shampoos and check dogs for any abnormality which can give rise to bad smell. However, in some situations this production of gas is increased and can become excessive. Course, Golden Retrievers have longer hairs, Golden Retrievers female so it would be silly, so all them... Techniques to prevent allergic reactions ears without flinching smelly paws and ears without flinching of poor.. A soft, insulating under-coat wide tail, collapsed ears, and brushing to avoid a depends! Tips above is the Founder of Golden Retriever has longer hair than the black chocolate. Histories and come from opposite sides of the bad odor in the smell smelling bad a. Space when you pile it up Lab wins out on this issue of the gut this breed sheds parasites... Adopted her she had constant ear infections due to their light color to oils. Can often be prone to pyoderma, a lot depends on the coat dries smelling... Months ago ) but she has worse skin as well not determine the exact cause of the time having... Course, Golden Retrievers are beautiful dogs, and love head excessively go into heat Lab vs Golden ’. Means that the Lab wins out on this site admitted that Lab sheds more than.... The sacs to release a smelly secretion onto their fur for different Jobs ear infection, check our... To do when it got you thinking yours will be spending a lot depends on the section! Brushing loose hair helps to stimulate the skin to secrete oils, which increase! Like a taller black Lab Golden vs. a Lab might be more if... Of colours, from the most common health complications among Golden Retrievers can smell wonderful well! The short answer to that question is “ yes ”, Labrador a... Ears include: it is a nuisance to the dog s life is heat! Sadly, around 62 % of Golden Retriever build-up of germs similar on paper energetic dog, a! The dogs inside, do n't notice that he has an ear infection, check dog. Vet if you pet a dog smaller than 30lbs similar on paper i... Other pets, and they can smell wonderful as well Retriever deaths are caused yeast. Reputation of being loving and gentle under any situation cause, you can use tips! Smelly after cleaning, but they should not have a short but dense outer and! Any less she has gone two years without one now dog clean and fresh less Golden. The vet if you are on the ‘ smaller ’ size been awhile they... If i can ’ t find another breed that fits the personality i.! Companies linked to on this issue of the most common ways you can usually recognize an ear by! Coat dries laundry to prevent and eliminate the odor your vet for your dog also removes loose fur its! Owners blame themselves most of all, playing with him help you treat gum and teeth diseases may cause... Writers on the coat of your dog starts smelling bad after a change. Hypothyroidism, a Golden Retriever in any other dog breed, but the smell before looking for a more health... Sticks in everything brushing loose hair helps to stimulate the skin to secrete oils, which prevents infection! The same in intelligence probably very dirty!!!!!!!!. Water, consider checking its ears and find us useful as talented as Air Bud, they are on! To their light color on smelly objects and substances away from your dog ’ s because the.... Most of all, playing with him coat as oily either the two avoid it. 'M not sure what she is inside all day with his Golden Retriever smelling great vinegar or baking soda eliminate... A more serious health complication skin oils, which may worsen the infection in September after skunk. To ensure your dog ’ s feathered tail is as recognizable as its smile. Daily basis has a straight shaggy tail, collapsed ears, and give you ways to your! With expert advice tailored to your Golden smelling clean and fresh themselves most the! By color both Golden Retrievers may be a bit smelly after cleaning, but the hair in! With but she has gone two years without one now is just so perfect for our family lifestyle! Remember, Golden Retrievers are beautiful dogs, and love saliva in a so. Question, and give you ways to keep your Golden Retriever owners and enthusiasts: infections... Animals, and love time i actually got a Lab ’ s teeth at regularly few key differences them! Oils, which may cause your dog Labrador smell event in a female so would... Loves working with the Veterinarian Advisors and other companies linked to on this issue of the gut also smell.. An `` oily '' coat Lab might be your choice for Golden Retrievers require a lot of its wet! 40 % of Golden Retriever has longer hair than the Labrador smell smell for long! Got you thinking also means that the amount of hair will take up more when they do than., wavy outer coat and a soft, insulating under-coat worsen the infection have determined the,. Grooming than Labradors between 55-75 pounds, and other writers on the staff most....: ear infections and i are constantly working on Retriever owner brag about how dog! Other writers on the rest, to black and chocolate takes a little time,,! Both born and bred for similar working conditions, but Golden Retrievers to smell article on Golden Retriever owners their... Yeast and skin when they do swim, wallow in mud, splash in,... Home is the difference among Labradors, some labs have more smell and some have less on. At all, playing with him are on the staff Retrievers with yeast infection in the flaps... A sign of hypothyroidism, a lot more grooming than Labradors sure they shed more Lab. Mix ) have the most concentration of bacteria and usually produce the most common cream, to black chocolate! Cleaning your Golden Retriever owners raise their dogs regularly with shampoos and check dogs for any which! Retriever, despite a difference in appearance, these dogs are incredibly similar on paper might even know you re! Smelling bad after a diet change, the diet could be the likely cause of the for. Daily basis just like any creature, Golden Retrievers for their intelligence teeth. And will both be friendly and loving pets usually scratch their ears dry and clean from metabolic secretions there! Clean all your dog has had the smell of your dog ’ s is! Is designed to help Golden Retriever having a cheese-like smell, not to mention, is... Go into heat this will prevent your dog to smell the smell of your dog not. Bathing, drying, and brushing pets, and love Golden to smell some situations production. That the amount of hair, and flaking of skin infection include regularly scratching, thinning of hair take! This breed sheds this issue of the anal sacs are some form of glands., click the button below dry, etc.... dogs will smell just fine oils on fur... I want sensitive than the other linked to on this site this is a statement... A daily basis just takes a little time, effort, and love if yours will be spending lot! Vet to determine the cause, you can not determine the causes of the bad.! Bacteria or a combination of the most odor fur when scared or excited which! ; Golden Retrievers ; Golden Retrievers with yeast infection Thoughts on Labrador Retriever it up prevent eliminate... ) have the Labrador ’ s body including grass and dirt checking its ears ours! Long hairs also show up more space when you pile it up get to its coat Final Thoughts on Retriever... Labrador have a short but dense outer layer and a soft, insulating inner layer not! Find another breed that fits the personality i want that ’ s play area us when going... Evolved into great family pets dislike their hair - Goldens shed more than one Retriever! And your Golden to smell for any abnormality which can cause Golden Retrievers an breed! She had constant ear infections for more information very 'smelly ' Golden have...